Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

AR Color Schemes

I’m building my first AR (pistol), and was planning to go all black. I saw a setup that had a grey receiver and now I’m hooked. I think I might build with grey receivers and a black rail (Fortis Night). Is grey the new FDE? Feel free to drop pics of your cerakotes!

Grey is sooooo 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Grey is sooooo 2018.
    At least grey is more realistic in Michigan than FDE. I prefer greens, though I have started going with some Sniper Grey (darker than this grey).
    Last edited by UpNorthWOLF; 01-24-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthWOLF View Post
    At least grey is more realistic in Michigan than FDE.
    I have a few items in grey, and am about to grab a Vector in grey as well.

I’m in the mindset of “black is boring”, but as mentioned, FDE doesn’t make ‘sense’ in MI. But then again, whatever color you like is the color you like. I guess FDE can still ‘work’ in autumn, but in the end.....who cares. It’s your rifle and your preference.

Personally, I think grey adds just enough color to bring out the look and lines of a rifle, without it being too ‘tacticool’. Especially on rifles with interesting aesthetics.

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 01-24-2020 at 08:49 PM.

I was just joking like a fashion thing like no whites after such n such, plaid is out!

I like all that green, tan, grey, black, any common metal color raw aluminum, lead, nickle, earthy color brown.

I almost bought a few grey hk's cause they were cheap back in the day.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 01-24-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Personally, I’m a fan of burnt bronze. I have a couple Kel-Tecs in the color. It’s almost like a slightly metallic autumn brown. But it’s not a color in magpul’s Standard pallet, so buying matching accessories is hard without cerakoting.

You can see how off the shelf FDE accessories are close...but not quite.

Bronze adds just a bit of depth to the color. Titanium does the same thing compared to grey.

Magpul’s plum caught my eye too, but it’s only available for their AK products for some reason.

i'm VERY tempted to build a CMMG Banshee Colt SMG clone, though my other big plan is an FDE X95 and my wanting the 9mm AR is because of RO635 in Girls' Frontline so I might want to keep the Banshee black...

MGO Member
    This was my project over the Christmas break. The Cerakote is Tungston color I believe. I'm pretty pleased with how it all came out.
    I'm going to do an AR9 next, and I've decided each caliber will have it's own color, to lower confusion.

Name:  rifle3.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  101.7 KB
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

I am a Forum User
    After 7 years of doing hundreds of Cerakote jobs the top color for me was Midnight Bronze. Back when I first mixed it there was no Cerakote color. I called it Michigan Bark. Others caught on and now Cerakote is making it. It’s just a 50-50 mix of Burnt Bronze and Graphite Black. It’s about as good as it gets for the Michigan woods anytime of the year.

What you look good with carrying around should determine the color of your gun.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast