Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Building an AR pistol

I purchased a few AR stripped lowers, and I am considering building one as a pistol. My question is, do I have to re-register the lower reciever or can I build it without any further paperwork. When I ordered the multi-pack of lowers, and the FFL transfer was as rifle lowers, no pistol paperwork. I do have a CPL, I just don't know what the process would be if there is one. I've built an AR before, but as a rifle, this is my first time even considering going this route.

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Build and enjoy. Your FFL should have transferred as "Other" on the 4473 but in this case it doesn't matter.

There's no way to legally complete a RI-60 for self made pistols.

MGO Member
    Thanks!!! Again, first time, i appreciate the help wading through the legalese.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Build and enjoy. Your FFL should have transferred as "Other" on the 4473 but in this case it doesn't matter.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jgw1981 View Post
    ... When I ordered the multi-pack of lowers, and the FFL transfer was as rifle lowers, no pistol paperwork.
    Not that it REALLY matters, because an FFL can't transform one type of firearm into another with a Form 4473 and a pen, but ...

Did you actually SEE that he marked Q16. Type of firearms to be transferred? as Long Gun? Or are you just assuming he did because he didn't provide an RI-60.

My only point is, if he DID identify it as a Long Gun, he most certainly CAN correct it after the fact, as there is a process.

I am a Forum User

I know it’s came up before but your saying a self built AR pistol doesn’t need to be registered?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    I know it’s came up before but your saying a self built AR pistol doesn’t need to be registered?
    Yes.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    Consult your attorney!!! Getting legal advice online is HIGHLY ill-advised! Following the advice of keyboard jockeys could cost you your house, car, boat, bank account... I'm not saying he's wrong. I am saying that is not how the law is interpreted OR applied.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tlagnhoj View Post
    Consult your attorney!!! Getting legal advice online is HIGHLY ill-advised! Following the advice of keyboard jockeys could cost you your house, car, boat, bank account... I'm not saying he's wrong. I am saying that is not how the law is interpreted OR applied.
    Please enlighten how the law is interpreted or applied.

Firearm attorneys in Michigan will echo what I stated.

I am a Forum User
    Please enlighten how the law is interpreted or applied.

Firearm attorneys in Michigan will echo what I stated.
    This

Words have meanings, and if you fill out an RI-60 as buyer and seller you could be committing a felony.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    This

Words have meanings, and if you fill out an RI-60 as buyer and seller you could be committing a felony.
    And giving elgal advice without an license could do the same...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast