Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 rifle build

I am a Forum User
    I do these types of builds all the time. Guy wants a rifle he can hunt with and also shoot longer ranges for fun or competition. Also does not have serious bucks to spend on a custom. The best way to reach this goal is by a switch barrel Savage or Remage. You can start with a factory Savage or Remington 700 Action or find one that is "blue printed". You can also choose a higher end action if you want to spend the bucks. Where you save is in the barrel and gunsmithing. There are tons of excellent prefit barrels on the market that shoot superbly. Criterion, Satern, Lothar Walther, McGowen and just a few. Once you get the barreled action set up you can drop it into a traditional stock for hunting and swap it to a chassis for long ranger target shooting. Lots of inexpensive options for both with the XLR brand chassis my favorite choice for a chassis. Going this way you can build a really nice, highly accurate, and very flexible rifle for under $1500 minus optics.

I am a Forum User
    This is probably exactly what he wants:
    https://www.k-var.com/vepr-308-win-c...walnut-stock-2

Something that requires some diy work would make him happy.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post
    This is probably exactly what he wants:
    https://www.k-var.com/vepr-308-win-c...walnut-stock-2

Something that requires some diy work would make him happy.

Joe
    Id like one, but think m1a much better for hunting, Better scope mounting options on m1a and hk. The dsa scope mount on fal is viable.

If you could only have one I would not pick vepr. If you have money and are filling up a large safe with toys, def putting a vepr in there.

I say that as fal clone owner, regular shooter of my dad's ptr 91/hk clone, and owner of two Russian aks, albeit not .308

I am a Forum User
    M1A will probably be more than he wants to spend. 308 M1 Garand is pretty simple to put together and parts are easy to get. Mild to full blown NM. You pick.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you to all yous guys.
    My friend is doing his research, looking into
    all the options, figuring out what it takes to
    put together a project like this.
    I'll post back how it goes.

Joe

FAL's are easy to build and accurate but use a dust cover scope mount which is less than ideal in my opinion. Use my M1A for match shooting and have used it deer hunting but they're not as cheap to build as they used to be. Yugo M76 is another but they're not as accurate as a FAL or M1A. CETME/G3 kit would likely be easy for him to build under budget. Maind weird thing about them is they don't headspace like a standard gun and instead go off of bolt/carrier gap which can be adjusted to an extent. There's a guy called Holescreek that is a tool and die guy by trade who has a bunch of CETME/G3 build info out there including some fancy target models, fluteless gas op conversions and caliber conversions. Here's one on his bending jig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI5if5NUklA

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    FAL's are easy to build and accurate but use a dust cover scope mount which is less than ideal in my opinion. Use my M1A for match shooting and have used it deer hunting but they're not as cheap to build as they used to be. Yugo M76 is another but they're not as accurate as a FAL or M1A. CETME/G3 kit would likely be easy for him to build under budget. Maind weird thing about them is they don't headspace like a standard gun and instead go off of bolt/carrier gap which can be adjusted to an extent. There's a guy called Holescreek that is a tool and die guy by trade who has a bunch of CETME/G3 build info out there including some fancy target models, fluteless gas op conversions and caliber conversions. Here's one on his bending jig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI5if5NUklA

Sorry to barge in, but do you happen to have one of those jigs? I have a flat that I would love to bend.
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

Quote Originally Posted by jmonarch View Post
    [/B]

Sorry to barge in, but do you happen to have one of those jigs? I have a flat that I would love to bend.
    No, I haven't done a G3/CETME yet. Don't know if I will or not. Posted up that link since the guy has access to lathes and mill so if he was inclined he could build something similar if he wanted to. There are cheaper and more readily ways to bend a HK type flat. One of the better ones is you can make a jig from a section of Unistrut you can get at homedepot/menards/lowes, a 20mm bar ebay/McmasterCarr/Fastenal/online or speedy metals, some all thread homedepot/menards/lowes. The unistrut jig is likely what I'd use unless I was doing a whole bunch of them. Holescreek has put many of his builds on the Military Firearms site and chimes in on the unistrut jig. http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...-and-weldments

MGO Member
    Thanks, Moleman!
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12