Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: FN49 in 8mm

I am a Forum User

FN49 in 8mm

I just recently picked up a nice FN49 in 8mm, and I believe it's one of the Egyptian ones because of the caliber, and because of the numbering system that's used as the part numbers (all matching) and the rear sight graduations. Really only thing wrong with it is it doesn't have the original fixed magazine.

The main thing I'm wondering about this thing is what kind of ammo does it like? I hear it shoots lighter ammo better than it shoots the heavier stuff, but I wouldn't know what brand of ammo it prefers or if anyone even makes good ammo for it. I'm not messing with corrosive surplus ammo because it's semi-auto. I'll shoot corrosive through my bolt actions because they're much easier to properly clean, but from what I've heard cleaning semi-autos is a pain.

If anyone has any experience with these things I'd love to know what ammo to try out first.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    My cousin has one and shoots Romanian steel case and Yugoslavian brass case surplus, runs like a top. Do not use Turkish 8mm, too inconsistently loaded and may damage/destroy your rifle.

MGO Member
    I had a shop 30 years ago & did tons of MilSurp. It's like the VZ58, the action is total closed off from sand & opens all the way open when it ejects. I have 3 VZ58/VZ2008 I'm about to sell 2 solid stocks & 1 folder all unfired. Back then the chinese sent all it's usesed SKSs over we got hooked then they sent new ones, O bought 10 or 20 at a time as it was a mess to clean them. I paid $69ea & $69/1000 for 7.62 ammo.
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson