Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

PTR 9R (HK94 Clone)- Barrel Chop

Thoughts? I've wanted an MP5 clone for some time now and have the opportunity to get the PTR 9R at a very good price new. That being said, I think the long HK94 style barrel looks goofy and would want it to SBR it and shorten the barrel. So, couple of questions for the hivemind:

1. Would you just cut the barrel down or get a replacement barrel? A replacement barrel is probably going to cost about as much as getting the original cut down and I know swapping MP5 barrels is not a simple task and would likely require an HK familiar gunsmith to do so. The only reason I would potentially want to keep the original is if PTR gave me crap about shortening the barrel. From speaking with their customer support, I was told "the short answer is yes, cutting the barrel would void your warranty" (although I'm curious to hear the long answer now?)

2. If I complete a Form 1, is the upper receiver (firearm) now and forever more considered an SBR regardless of whether it has a stock attached? Or is it just an "NFA item"? I'm thinking mainly from a shipping perspective at this point if I need to send it to a smith to have the barrel cut. Typically Fedex/UPS requires next day air for handguns but this isn't a handgun. It's not really a "rifle" either.

I don't really care about having a true 3 lug on the end of the barrel, I'd just use an adapter on 1/2x28 threads if I ever wanted one FWIW.

Chop it, doubt you would ever need warranty service, just get it fixed locally. No big deal.