Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Not the Normal Win 70 vs. Rem 700 Debate...

I want a .243 Win. bolt-action rifle for hunting. Now if one were to look at my shotguns, .22s and even a couple pistols, I'm a Remington guy, so the Remington 700 seems like a natural pick but I really like what I see with Winchester's Model 70 Featherweight. Preferring a traditional (non-Monte Carlo) wood stock, the contenders from Remington would be the CDL version of their 700 or SEVEN series vs. the Winchester.

Understanding this is a Ford vs. Chevy type of debate, allow me to stipulate that I'm only interested in a new-production rifle, so arguments about Winchester's old pre-'64 models compared to today or Remington's unsafe trigger from back when whenever it was are irrelevant. My question is if you were shopping for a new .243 hunting rifle TODAY and could only pick between Winchester or Remington, which would it be and why?

Winchester is the better design and better quality. It's a controlled round feed MOA guaranteed, high value rifle. Look at cdnn they have 243 feather weights cheeeeeap. Buy it, don't look back.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 02-03-2020 at 01:19 PM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -db- View Post
    I want a .243 Win. bolt-action rifle for hunting. Now if one were to look at my shotguns, .22s and even a couple pistols, I'm a Remington guy, so the Remington 700 seems like a natural pick but I really like what I see with Winchester's Model 70 Featherweight. Preferring a traditional (non-Monte Carlo) wood stock, the contenders from Remington would be the CDL version of their 700 or SEVEN series vs. the Winchester.

Understanding this is a Ford vs. Chevy type of debate, allow me to stipulate that I'm only interested in a new-production rifle, so arguments about Winchester's old pre-'64 models compared to today or Remington's unsafe trigger from back when whenever it was are irrelevant. My question is if you were shopping for a new .243 hunting rifle TODAY and could only pick between Winchester or Remington, which would it be and why?
    TIKKA..

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by coobie View Post
    TIKKA..
    I agree with the TIKKA.. But sticking to the original posters comments... Winchester and Remington use a different
    trigger/safety setup. Both are decent designs, just need to see which one suits you.

IMHO, (literally worthless) the Winchester is better. Unless you can find an older, like new 700,
    most of them are terrible out of the box.

Good luck! ( and dont count out the Savage either.. )

I am a Forum User
    Model 7 all the way. I have a laminated stock 243 and it's all you'll ever need for Michigan whitetails. It's less than 2 years old, so current production and no problems.

From my own opinion built on personal experience ( sample of 2 Remingtons) of the QC of both companies over the last 15 years go with the Winchester.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Remington 700 is a push feed with 2 position safety on you can still operate the bolt....bolt can and will open if carried with a sling....you need special tools to diassemble the bolt for clean difficult to clean in the field....

Winchester 70 is a control round feed safety has 3 positions....lock the bolt and safe....safe can operate the bolt...bolt can be dissemble very easy push a pin and turn...they tend to bring a higher resale price....they are a work horse of rifles ....

I don't and will not ever own a Remington anything ever again because of several problems that they would not resolve on 2 rifles....one was a safety issue...

I picked up a Tikka T3 ultra-light....with my off the shelve standard load it shot better than any 243 Win. I've ever owned 5 shots at 200 yards 3/4" that's better than several Winchesters and Remingtons....

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote wacker View Post
    Remington 700 is a push feed with 2 position safety on you can still operate the bolt....bolt can and will open if carried with a sling....you need special tools to diassemble the bolt for clean difficult to clean in the field....

Winchester 70 is a control round feed safety has 3 positions....lock the bolt and safe....safe can operate the bolt...bolt can be dissemble very easy push a pin and turn...they tend to bring a higher resale price....they are a work horse of rifles ....

I don't and will not ever own a Remington anything ever again because of several problems that they would not resolve on 2 rifles....one was a safety issue...

I picked up a Tikka T3 ultra-light....with my off the shelve standard load it shot better than any 243 Win. I've ever owned 5 shots at 200 yards 3/4" that's better than several Winchesters and Remingtons....
    ++1 my tikka rifles shoot lights out.Still like my Winchester model 70,s though

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Model 7 all the way. I have a laminated stock 243 and it's all you'll ever need for Michigan whitetails. It's less than 2 years old, so current production and no problems.
    7?

Any other time I could figure out what you meant. 70, or 700

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    7?

Any other time I could figure out what you meant. 70, or 700
    That would be a model 7 Remington, which is a lighter version of the Remington model 700. Other differences also but it is a Remington.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast