Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    I'm a Model 70 fanboy. Stronger action, better quality, and overall more robust. Plus I prefer controlled feed to push feed on pure hunting rifles, but that's me. Remington 700 rifles made before 2007 are nice, which was before their QC hit the tank. If you wanted to build a custom rifle, then I'd recommend the 700 over the Model 70 as you can take the action and do whatever you want with it.

A lot of people mention Tikka. They are very good rifles for the money, but only to a point, IMO. Under $800 I don't think you can beat a Tikka, but once you get to that $800 - $1,200 range I don't think the Tikka is the bees knees anymore as it starts competing with the Model 70 and Browning X-Bolt, which IMO are both better rifles. The Model 70 has a more robust action, better overall quality, and has an MOA or better guarantee which is more than enough for hunting. And if they still made them, I'd recommend the CZ 550 as well. The actions are a bit gritty out of the box, but boy oh boy are they strong and do they feel rugged as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammz View Post
    I'm a Model 70 fanboy. Stronger action, better quality, and overall more robust. Plus I prefer controlled feed to push feed on pure hunting rifles, but that's me. Remington 700 rifles made before 2007 are nice, which was before their QC hit the tank. If you wanted to build a custom rifle, then I'd recommend the 700 over the Model 70 as you can take the action and do whatever you want with it.

A lot of people mention Tikka. They are very good rifles for the money, but only to a point, IMO. Under $800 I don't think you can beat a Tikka, but once you get to that $800 - $1,200 range I don't think the Tikka is the bees knees anymore as it starts competing with the Model 70 and Browning X-Bolt, which IMO are both better rifles. The Model 70 has a more robust action, better overall quality, and has an MOA or better guarantee which is more than enough for hunting. And if they still made them, I'd recommend the CZ 550 as well. The actions are a bit gritty out of the box, but boy oh boy are they strong and do they feel rugged as hell.
    they stopped making the cz 550! when did that happen ?

My knock against the 550 is not as many finishes, you can get all sorts of finishes on the 70 that you cant get with the 550, more wood choices to a higher degree if thats your thing as well.

550 you cannot get something like a light weight, stainless in AAA fancy french walnut, or AAA maple.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    That would be a model 7 Remington, which is a lighter version of the Remington model 700. Other differences also but it is a Remington.
    Well, they snuck that model by me. Kinda their fault, I stopped caring about remington in 2007/2008 ish and havent kept up on new stuff.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Well, they snuck that model by me. Kinda their fault, I stopped caring about remington in 2007/2008 ish and havent kept up on new stuff.
    The Model 7 is at least 25 years old. Remington just has never promoted it.

I am a Forum User
    they stopped making the cz 550! when did that happen ?

My knock against the 550 is not as many finishes, you can get all sorts of finishes on the 70 that you cant get with the 550, more wood choices to a higher degree if thats your thing as well.

550 you cannot get something like a light weight, stainless in AAA fancy french walnut, or AAA maple.
    They still make the 550 in the magnum length action for their safari calibers, but they stopped making their standard sized 550 actions in 2018 and replaced it with the 557 line of push feed rifles. The 557 rifles are supposed to be great, but I prefer the 550 series as I really love controlled round feed actions. And I agree. While great rifles, the 550 line really did lack options for finishes and wood. And the single set trigger on them is seriously one of the best factory triggers you can get.

You can still find the standard action 550s here and there on Gunbroker, but they command somewhat of a premium now. Not anything crazy, but a couple hundred over what MSRP was new.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    The Model 7 is at least 25 years old. Remington just has never promoted it.
    wow, thats crazy. I never knew. Thought I was decently familiar with Remingtons line up of factory rifles and shotguns.

I am a Forum User
    wow, thats crazy. I never knew. Thought I was decently familiar with Remingtons line up of factory rifles and shotguns.
    No problem. Like I said, Remington had never advertised them. I think they are the best woods rifle out there. Short, light and powerful enough.

I bought a M7 back in the mid to late 90s chambered in 7-08 Rem. It was a nice little carbine, 18” bbl, light wgt and shot quite accurately for what it was. Been a time or two I wish I hadn’t traded it off.
    The action was more a XP 100/M600 variant IMO then M700, it is a little shorter then a M700 short action. It is still made I believe, but I have not handled one for a long time now.
    I actually preferred mine over either a M700 or Ruger International M77 in 308 I had at the same time for hunting here in Mi. I still really like the 7-08 as a deer cartridge and that M7 helped cause me to sell my all 308s in favor of it.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I think I'm pretty much sold on a stainless Featherweight.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...stainless.html

I am a Forum User
    I know it's a personal thing, but stainless actions/barrels with wood stocks have never looked right to me, unless it's a laminate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast