Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    I know it's a personal thing, but stainless actions/barrels with wood stocks have never looked right to me, unless it's a laminate.
    I think both look good, but I do not see any laminate on the winchester model configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I think both look good, but I do not see any laminate on the winchester model configuration.
    You have to move to the std rifle to get a laminate stock, they weigh too much to be an option on the featherweight.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...-Products.html

I see a bunch of laminate stock on past models.

Not saying your wrong maybe just not seeing it.

If op wanted I'm sure they are still out there on GunBroker.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 02-08-2020 at 03:08 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I believe he was talking about the Featherweight model not being a laminate.

I am a Forum User
    Where's the place to buy one in the metro Detroit area? Are there any gun shops with a decent selection of Winchesters in stock or am I looking at buying one online?

I am a Forum User
    I have worked in a couple different gun shops in recent years. I discuss this question with numerous customers on a regular basis. The general consensus from long time Remington fan boys is that Remington doesn't have the quality, fit or finish it did even a decade ago, and I tend to agree. They aren't terrible, but they have definitely been declining. Winchester is importing from Portugal, now, but they are still a pretty nicely built gun. I really like the Winchester, but it sours me that they have moved their production offshore and still price them so high. I would have no problem buying a pre import model, but I know that isn't as important to many folks.

I recently purchased a new deer rifle. I have handled most of the models by most manufacturers. I chose the Tikka. I have had more customers praise the accuracy and quality of their Tikka than all other brands of (deer) rifles combined. The gun I personally ordered was A Tikka CTR chambered in 260 rem. The CTR is only available in synthetic and the action is a little smoother than the standard T3x, but I really would have preferred wood. If I hadn't needed a threaded barrel, I would have went with a Tikka T3x with laminate stock.

Tikka is an excellent rifle at a better value than Winchester or Remington for current production rifles IMO. I can't really think of any other production rifles I would prefer without stepping up in price to a Barrett Fieldcraft or Christensen Arms.
    Last edited by steve77; 02-08-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Steve 77. They moved to South Carolina in mid 2000s made by fnh. Then they were assembled later in Portugal.

That must be very new to be made in turkey or possible confusion with Turkish made shotguns Winchester might be selling.

I am a Forum User
    Steve 77. They moved to South Carolina in mid 2000s made by fnh. Then they were assembled later in Portugal.

That must be very new to be made in turkey or possible confusion with Turkish made shotguns Winchester might be selling.
    My apologies, you are correct, rifle production is now Portugal, some shotgun production was moved to Turkey.

I'd prefer all American. Portugal is ok. Not a fan of turkey. They are high on my S list.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
    Tikka is an excellent rifle at a better value than Winchester or Remington for current production rifles IMO. I can't really think of any other production rifles I would prefer without stepping up in price to a Barrett Fieldcraft or Christensen Arms.
    The Tikka is more accurate for sure, but overall the current Model 70 is a higher quality rifle. Stronger action, better fit and finish, higher quality furniture, etc. I think the Tikka wins in accuracy and is a great value for what you get, but IMO it suffers from what a lot of sub $1,000 rifles suffer from: they feel cheap. By the time you get to the nicer feeling ones with wood and fancier finishes, you're in Model 70 territory and I don't think they're better than the Model 70 overall. The Model 70 feels high quality and nothing on them feels like it's cheap. I'm not saying Tikkas are bad, they're great guns. I'd love to eventually get the T3X Tac A1. The current Remingtons are terrible, so I won't even include them.

If you're just looking for accuracy and great value, the Tikka is almost impossible to beat. But if you are looking at the overall package, the Model 70 is probably the best pure hunting rifle you can buy under $1,500. Especially since FN took over.

I'd prefer all American. Portugal is ok. Not a fan of turkey. They are high on my S list.
    The current Model 70 is assembled in Portual, but not everything is made there. The barrels are cold hammer forged FN barrels, and at least FN oversees the production of all the parts. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer foreign made guns to U.S made guns as it seems like foreign made firearms are just higher quality, examples being: FN Herstal who also now owns Browning and Winchester who are making higher quality rifles than they ever have before, CZ, Heckler & Koch, IWI, Steyr, Tikka/Sako, etc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast