Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Paperwork Needed for Trade-In?

Hi guys,

I have a few handguns I’m not using and I’d like to get rid of them. I thought trading them into a shop would be the easy way, but I contacted one FFL and they told me they wouldn’t buy handguns without me providing a copy of the registration showing that I owned them.

- Is this standard practice, or is this shop just being a bit odd?
    - Assuming I need the papers, can I get them all from the state or do I need to figure out where I lived for each purchase to try to get copies from the local PD?

Thanks

Bring them to me to trade in. I dont hate money

I am a Forum User
    It’s just shops with the idiotic mi mentality
    Last edited by wsr; 02-04-2020 at 01:23 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I'm unsure if you need documentation proving ownership or not, but I do know you can request a copy of all pistols registered to you in MI from your local PD. I think there is a small fee for the copy. I assume you could then use this a proof of ownership, since the serial numbers should be listed. Of course this assumes the information was entered into the database accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by 93bandit View Post
    I'm unsure if you need documentation proving ownership or not, but I do know you can request a copy of all pistols registered to you in MI from your local PD. I think there is a small fee for the copy. I assume you could then use this a proof of ownership, since the serial numbers should be listed. Of course this assumes the information was entered into the database accurately.

For the low-low price of $1.00 you local LEO can give you a list from the database. You are entitled to this information to "ensure accuracy" as stated in the law.

That should be sufficient to show "ownership" in this situation. When you get the list don't be surprised that it might show guns that you no longer have, you would have to run the serial number of individual guns to see who the last owner is.

I have heard of some shops wanting this, going all of the way back to the old green card "safety inspections". Currently it does not mean anything, and you are not required to keep those records past something like 30~60~90 days. This dealer is probably not giving you any special deal, no need to jump through extra hoops, fine another dealer.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post

For the low-low price of $1.00 you local LEO can give you a list from the database. You are entitled to this information to "ensure accuracy" as stated in the law.

That should be sufficient to show "ownership" in this situation. When you get the list don't be surprised that it might show guns that you no longer have, you would have to run the serial number of individual guns to see who the last owner is.

I have heard of some shops wanting this, going all of the way back to the old green card "safety inspections". Currently it does not mean anything, and you are not required to keep those records past something like 30~60~90 days. This dealer is probably not giving you any special deal, no need to jump through extra hoops, fine another dealer.
    Yeah find another dealer

I am a Forum User
    Ask the same of the dealer. Request copy of hid driver’s license, and all licenses required to do business in that locale.

If he is not too obtuse, maybe the light will come on.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaxPlayer View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a few handguns I’m not using and I’d like to get rid of them. I thought trading them into a shop would be the easy way, but I contacted one FFL and they told me they wouldn’t buy handguns without me providing a copy of the registration showing that I owned them.

- Is this standard practice, or is this shop just being a bit odd?
    - Assuming I need the papers, can I get them all from the state or do I need to figure out where I lived for each purchase to try to get copies from the local PD?

Thanks
    Why do gun shops have to be such morons? This isn't standard practice. There's nothing that states this must be done by law. You could show an old piece of a RI-60 and that doesn't prove ownership, just proves you owned it at one time. Also, not all pistols in Michigan need to be registered as there are plenty of exemptions. Go to another shop. Depending on what you have, I may be interested if you don't mind the drive.

As already stated you can get the transaction record from MSP through any local PD.

I am a Forum User
    Okay, Ima be That Guy, again.
    What are you selling?

Joe

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Why do gun shops have to be such morons? This isn't standard practice. There's nothing that states this must be done by law. You could show an old piece of a RI-60 and that doesn't prove ownership, just proves you owned it at one time. Also, not all pistols in Michigan need to be registered as there are plenty of exemptions. Go to another shop. Depending on what you have, I may be interested if you don't mind the drive.

As already stated you can get the transaction record from MSP through any local PD.
    Bingo.
    There's no such document other than a sales receipt that says you "own" it.
    A license to purchase, or RI-060 says you had it... once... but like that cheerleader next door, others might have had her too!

Find a new dealer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast