Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Question regarding getting my own handgun at 19

Hello, backstory on my self: I'm a 19 year old living on my own in an Apartment, I work for a security company in Michigan, (Eventually will return to Electrical work later this year)

I was starting to gain an interest in firearms and was curious about getting my own handgun. There is a range within 15-20 minute drive from me.

However in Michigan you need to be 21 years old to purchase a handgun through a federally licensed seller. Or 18+ if purchasing through a private seller.
    My direct family is bit far left in terms of Gun Control and don't believe in the use of them other than law enforcement.
    So they have declined to help me acquire a handgun (I was willing to pay in full, just would need it transferred into my name)

So my question being, how would I go about purchasing a handgun for my self if my family does not feel comfortable with helping me? (As of right now I don't know anyone close enough that could help me)

My uncle has taken me to the range with the same handgun I am trying to get, and has taught me to strip and clean it, along with a Gun Safety Training course on it. (Walther Pk 380)
    However he risks my parents not speaking to him if he were to help me get one, and I'm not trying to do that to him.
    I understand I could get a rifle and/or other type of firearm but I've used this handgun before and know my way around it more than I do any other firearm.

I am a Forum User
    Answer might seem obvious, but you do it yourself.

Are you asking for help at the range, learning about guns, or what gun to buy? For that plenty here including myself can definitely help.

I am a Forum User
    Shop around gun forum classifieds until you find the gun you want.
    Go to your local police department & get a permit to purchase.
    Go buy the gun.

I am a Forum User
    Go to your police station get a purchase permit and buy what you want from a individual....easy

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by radiohead1 View Post
    My direct family is bit far left in terms of Gun Control and don't believe in the use of them other than law enforcement.
    This is the most depressing part of your post.

Get an LTP and buy your handgun via private sale. You don't need family members to help.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Answer might seem obvious, but you do it yourself.
    I was not under the impression I could purchase it my self, I thought it was like an agreed upon thing with someone who purchased it for you from a Federally Licensed Seller

MGO Board of Directors

I was not under the impression I could purchase it my self, I thought it was like an agreed upon thing with someone who purchased it for you from a Federally Licensed Seller
    This is the Michigan statute regarding obtaining a license to purchase (LTP):

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422

(b) The person is 18 years of age or older or, if the seller is licensed under 18 USC 923, is 21 years of age or older.
    As others have said, go to a PD or Sheriff's Office and apply for a LTP.

Here ia a guideline:
    https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...andgun-In-Mich
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

You really need to learn more about the laws.

1) The restriction of 21 yr old with/from an FFL is a Federal law. The Feds limit sales of pistols to those over 21 for those that hold a Federal Firearms License. For long arms only, the age is 18. In order to deal in firearms at a commercial level, one must be licensed by the BATFE and they have to follow the Federal laws.

2) Any qualified person over the age of 18 may purchase a pistol (or a longarm/ reciever) in a private transaction, but the State requires a background check and registration of the transaction for pistols. So, there is a form you apply for through the Local LEO, or the County Sheriff if the locals don't do them. The form is called a "License To Purchase" (LTP or RI-010)

3) Furthermore, if someone were to "help" you in purchasing from an FFL, it might be considered a "Straw Purchase) and criminal in nature. You CANNOT give money to another person and have them buy it for you.

4) The legal way to proceed (as stated before), is to find a private person selling what you want. Make the arrangements with them for the purchase, including the fact that you are under 21 (but still over 18) and that you will have to obtain the LTP to complete the deal.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Where would I find a private person selling?

I know the handgun I want to purchase however I get dozens of federal licensed companies whenever I do a search (Cabelas, Sporting stores, etc)

Any recommendations on a website for private selling?

MGO Board of Directors

Where would I find a private person selling?

I know the handgun I want to purchase however I get dozens of federal licensed companies whenever I do a search (Cabelas, Sporting stores, etc)

Any recommendations on a website for private selling?
    https://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?142

Whatcha looking for?
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast