Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

View Poll Results: Should other super bright colors be allowed for hunters instead of relying on Hunter's Orange exclus

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with Orange

29 67.44%
  • I'm open to allowing other highly visible colors

9 20.93%
  • I like my chili without beans

5 11.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunters Orange

MGO Board of Directors

Hunters Orange

I was recently involved in a conversation about the mandatory hunter's orange law and those that wish to add florescent pink or yellow to the mix. The gentleman that I spoke with suggested that, for continuity sake, it should just stay orange. Stop signs are always red. The light the comes on to allow you to drive through an intersection is always a green one.

What do you think?
    Has he got something here or is it just a matter of preference as no matter what color you see in the woods, you will know it's not a deer?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    I don't think it should be mandatory period. More nanny-state regulation with the government knowing what is best for you backed up by fines.

I'm an adult and know the risks of not wearing some neon color to be visable to those "hunters" who shoot once a year and have more empty beer cans at deer-camp than pounds of venison in the freezer.

If someone shoots someone in the field thinking they were a deer, hammer them with the hardest penalty possible and then some as the deterrent. Don't make everyone pay for the idiocy of a few.

MGO Board of Directors

If you are on private property you should have the option to wear orange or not. State Land, I think you would be crazy to not wear it.
    For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
    MGO Life Member, NRA Life Member, MOC Member.

I think adding pink is a great idea. High vis yellow is fine, but I think nature mimics it quite a bit here. I rabbit hunt with my buddies and a bit of orange really helps us be safe.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilt Guy View Post
    If you are on private property you should have the option to wear orange or not. State Land, I think you would be crazy to not wear it.
    I certainly won't argue with your opinion as you are certainly entitled to it. And, you are correct that it may not be smart to go out considering the yahoos I see come up north to hunt should just stay at the bar instead of go into the woods with a gun.

But...as an adult and making a decision to not wear orange should be my choice. That is what freedom and liberty look like. Being forced to wear something or be cited and fined is the opposite. We have allowed the "State" to much authority to punish us all for our own good.

MGO Member
    When I use to hunt, my neighbor would walk out into HIS woods in carhart bibs and jacket.

Never once did I think he was a deer or shoot him.

if he would of crossed the fence all bets would of been off.

There was an official investigation started into the viability of using other "HI-VIS" colors, yellow, pink, green.

What was the result of that study? The way I understood it, we could get them if they worked as well as orange.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    I certainly won't argue with your opinion as you are certainly entitled to it. And, you are correct that it may not be smart to go out considering the yahoos I see come up north to hunt should just stay at the bar instead of go into the woods with a gun.

But...as an adult and making a decision to not wear orange should be my choice. That is what freedom and liberty look like. Being forced to wear something or be cited and fined is the opposite. We have allowed the "State" to much authority to punish us all for our own good.
    Would you want your child in a car without a seatbelt? Best drivers on the planet have accidents. As we see bullets find paths. I am all
    for some orange during gun season.

OK, there is a whole story in the laws on hunter safety colors.

A bill was introduced in Mar 2016 that would have simply allowed the use of a Blase Pink if the individual wished. 2016-HB-5484
    By the time it got through both houses, it was gutted to the point that ordered that the NRC would make the decision. I was signed into law by Snider.

The NRC basically issued an opinion that said **: www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Hunting_Apparel_Colors_579787_7.pdf

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Would those who voted :stick with orange please explain why? I don't get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast