Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Anyone own a Springfield M1A Scout Squad?

I have been wanting one for a long time and would like to hear feedback from anyone who has or had one.

Aside from just general frequent range use I would use it as my main deer rifle and what I would carry on my weekly walks through our property. Essentially a general purpose, often touched/used rifle chambered in .308.

I like the idea of the Scout version for the slightly shorter barrel for a little easier use out in the woods, a bit lighter than the standard version and the composite stock I would hope will take some wear and tear.

Just to avoid replies on advising an AR instead....I have them. I love them. Just not right for what I want in this purpose. Being he M1A is .308 is important to me for hunting, and I have not been impressed with AR10's accuracy.

Love to hear any thoughts you have on it if you actually have owned one.

Thanks
    Last edited by Einthewoods; 02-08-2020 at 04:33 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I have a wood stocked M1A w/ 18" barrel..i.e., the Scout Squad model..
    I should start out saying that a M1A was on my dream list for rifles to own..& I looked for one for years before I found mine.
    Though I am the 3rd owner, I was first to put bullets down the barrel.
    A guy bought the rifle from the estate of the O.P. , who passed, before he had a chance to shoot it.
    Guy that bought from the estate it sold it to me, saying he never fired it..I examined it closely & found
    No marks @ all on the bolt, or magazine. Bore was clean as well. No sign of it having ever been fired.

It quickly became my favorite rifle. The gas system on the Scout Squad bleeds off much of the recoil energy,
    so little recoil is passed to the shooter. The Scout Squad model is made with a rail in front of the chamber, so a scope can be attached.
    I bought a long eye relief scope (LER scope is required) 'cause my eyes aren't that great to use the iron sights.

It is easy to go through a lot of ammo in a hurry, when the rifle is so soft shooting. I Learned this quickly.
    It is fun & easy to shoot..(hope you hand load) accuracy is dependent on your skill (or luck).

But, the truth is, I haven't shot my M!A since I bought an AR-10 upper & lower & started using it.
    Several things became apparent owning the M1A.. accessories are expensive.. (price a receiver scope mount)
    it is difficult to attach a bipod mount, w/o carving wood out of the stock, & brass catchers seem non-existent.
    & there are few LER scopes on the market, with limited power options.

These observations may not be of importance to you, but they are to me..The AR platform has so many options,
    most available @ very reasonable prices.. including: easy to use, drop-in tuned triggers, variety of scope mounting options, butt stock options,
    magazine capacities, accessories that mount to rails, etc..

I would also offer than the accuracy of my AR-10 is equal to, or better than my M1A, (at least with me shooting both rifles)

I hope you can find what you're looking for, & if it's what you want..that's all that matters.
    Good luck..& you will enjoy shooting a M1A..I'm sure.
    Last edited by joepistol; 02-08-2020 at 07:22 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks very much for the info! Other than a scope for it, I haven't looked at accessories - good to know the cost angle. Magazines I looked for aren't cheap for sure.

Thanks again, appreciate the time on the feedback.

I am a Forum User
    If you have not found this website, you may want to spend some time reading here..

https://m14forum.com/m14/125052-ther...1a-owners.html

or search for other M14 / M1A sites..lots of good info.

a company Check Mate (https://www.checkmatemagazines.com/i...m1a&Itemid=298) makes M1A mags,
    seem to be identical to the Springfield Armory mags (but no S/A markings on them..) for a much lower price. They're the only mag I'd suggest using..from my experience & reading.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    If you have not found this website, you may want to spend some time reading here..

https://m14forum.com/m14/125052-ther...1a-owners.html

or search for other M14 / M1A sites..lots of good info.

a company Check Mate (https://www.checkmatemagazines.com/i...m1a&Itemid=298) makes M1A mags,
    seem to be identical to the Springfield Armory mags (but no S/A markings on them..) for a much lower price. They're the only mag I'd suggest using..from my experience & reading.
    Thanks much. Reading for just a couple minutes from your link the the m14 forum did nothing to talk me out of one. LOL

Somehow I have a feeling I am going to have to explain a big charge coming across the CC in the near future.

MGO Member Forum User
    Easily my favorite rifle to look at and shoot. Pick up a Schuster gas plug. Checkmate mags are worth the $, but you can usually find them on sale. I was able to snag a few before 44mag went TU.

MGO Member
    I have 1 along with a standard version. However I've never shot either 1 as I have a colt 6920 ar that fills all my needs, but yes it was a "dream gun" for me, I acquired a couple and never shoot them.

Since you don't want to use an ar10, this is arguably the next best if you want to scope it and carry it.

Other than the SA, look FNH fnar.

It has ar in name, not related.

Sub moa 308, poly stock.

Priced similar, not cheap, not outrageous.

Ar10 can be as accurate as anything out there don't give up on em. Don't pass up the m1a. I don't think it will be much more accurate but it is very very cool.

I am a Forum User
    Have the scout, love it. I have used mine for deer the last two years, but sadly no deer wanted to volunteer their services. Like some others, I had the M1A on my dream list. I like the SOCOM 16 also.

It’s a really great system and “loves to be shot”. For deer, do some research on ammo and then test it through your rifle. Accuracy can differ for sure. The only accessory I added was a Leupold scout scope with low QD rings.

Can’t talk you out of it, sorry. Hope you get one soon
    Last edited by Rooster 308; 02-09-2020 at 10:42 AM.

I am a Forum User
    .."I was able to snag a few before 44mag went TU. "..

didn't knowthat.. they are no longer in business ?
    That was the site where I bought my mags as well...couldn't remember the name of the site,
    but recognized it when I saw it posted..has been several yrs. ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast