Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Someone mentioned height - is it appropriate?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Someone mentioned height - is it appropriate?
    I like it where it is. I am 6'2" and sit at it comfortably. I have others that shoot on my property including kids and women so I think this is a good compromise height.

I was going to offer to take a picture with me sitting on it...but that would probably break the forum.

MGO Board of Directors

Wow -

From the comments:

"The weight of the bench that i built to spec, using all pressure treated below ground grade wood was a total weight of 348 lbs."
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Wow -

From the comments:

"The weight of the bench that i built to spec, using all pressure treated below ground grade wood was a total weight of 348 lbs."
    I certainly haven't weighed mine but it can't be anywhere close to that as my teenage son and I have moved it around the shop many times. Maybe that guy had some seriously fresh (sopping wet) lumber?

For me, I will be placing this in the spring and it will never move. Heavier the better. I had thought of extending the legs so I could bury them for even more rigidity but decided against it.

I am a Forum User
    a suggestion..if wood legs are going to be touching the ground (& you want the bench to last) I'd suggest
    digging a hole down about 16" -18" where each leg sits.. then fill holes with pea gravel..
    'cause treated wood will succumb to water damage

The pea gravel allows water to drain down, so the wood legs aren't surrounded by water.

Wish whoever built my deck would have done this..

I have made a few of these benches. Built to spec for each person. Most are based on the first example. Some have wheels. The one I have at my cabin has wheels so I can HIDE it from the neighbors when I'm not around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    And now the quick and dirty rifle rack for the range. Clearly nothing special, but it's sturdy as heck and easy to hang from the rafters of the shooting shelter when not in use.

20200216_105959.jpg

Anything to warm up the barn in the winter and get out of the house I guess

I am a Forum User

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    a suggestion..if wood legs are going to be touching the ground (& you want the bench to last) I'd suggest
    digging a hole down about 16" -18" where each leg sits.. then fill holes with pea gravel..
    'cause treated wood will succumb to water damage

The pea gravel allows water to drain down, so the wood legs aren't surrounded by water.

Wish whoever built my deck would have done this..
    Good suggestion for sure, thanks.

I am building a structure over the range bench and room for pistol shooting. I am going to put crushed gravel down several inches deep. I like your idea of some pea gravel under the legs though and will certainly consider it.

I am a Forum User
    .." I like your idea of some pea gravel under the legs ."

In all honesty, not MY idea..have a friend that has a home repair business, does almost everything you could think of, including building decks.
    Many who do the same work don't bother to set the posts in gravel..they avoid the extra work & cost to do it right.
    it may be years before the damage is done (water damage to wood posts set in dirt, w/o using gravel) and most "builders" know it won't come back to them (years later)
    doesn't mean that it's right. My friend told me this, as my 20yr old deck has posts that are starting to break down from moisture, as
    these posts were not set properly... so yeah, you can do it w/o setting posts in gravel, but years later, the damage will eventually happen, if not done right.
    gravel allows the water to seep down past the posts, & be absorbed by the soil below the gravel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast