Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Scratch in the end of the barrel

I picked up a used Springfield Range Officer at a good price. The only thing wrong with it is a scratch across the muzzle end of the barrel. It is not a terrible gouge and does not affect the performance, but I would like to get rid of it if I can without too much expense. According to Springfield the barrel is Stainless Steel. Is this something that i could take care of by either sanding or using a stone? Would I then be able to polish it and get the same polished appearance? I don't have any machining tools and so everything would have to be done by hand. If my chances of success are small, then maybe have it machined? Suck it up and don't look at it?

Suggestions please.

MGO Member Forum User
    Pictures would be helpful

Very easy and inexpensive to polish out yourself. A big felt bob, a drill motor, some polishing compound, and about 10 minutes is all it takes.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Rifle Guy has the best idea. Even a carriage bolt in a cordless drill with a dab of valve compound will fix it in a couple minutes. Just be careful to keep the crown even
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Thanks all!

I am a Forum User
    even if the crown isn't even it's not a big deal if your optics or sights can compensate for the adjustment to POA.

MGO Member
    Here is a not so good photo. I'll try working on it this weekend.scratch.jpg

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    ‘Tis but a scratch! Indeed-polish away.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Merely a flesh wound! Shoot it!
    I've polished larger/deeper 1911 Idiot Marks / slide stop. Easy to clean up if it bothers you.

Hmmm, I suspect the 1911 isn't the holy grail that the Monty Python crew was thinking about. However, a stop at Castle Anthrax might provide some clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast