Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Marlin 1895 45-70 bolt won’t fully cycle

A friend of mine picked up a used marlin 1895, gun seemed to cycle as it should. Took it to the range, fired one shot went to cycle the action and the bolt will not fully cycle. It seems to cycle about half way and then the hammer will not cock far enough for the bolt to clear the hammer. He unloaded the magazine but there is still the empty case in the chamber as the bolt will not cycle far enough to eject it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by supermuns View Post
    A friend of mine picked up a used marlin 1895, gun seemed to cycle as it should. Took it to the range, fired one shot went to cycle the action and the bolt will not fully cycle. It seems to cycle about half way and then the hammer will not cock far enough for the bolt to clear the hammer. He unloaded the magazine but there is still the empty case in the chamber as the bolt will not cycle far enough to eject it.

Send it to Marlin.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

Does it partially extract the spent round? Or does it remain in the chamber? If it stays seated in the chamber....

With a long brass rod, or wood dowel, GENTLY tap the case out of the chamber.

Once the stuck round is removed, cycle the action. If all seems well, at a range/safe location, load a single round, and try to cycle the action.
    If that works well, cycle the round, fire it, then try to eject.

If there is a failure at any point in the sequence you may want to consider paying a gunsmith or shipping the arm back to Marlin for repair.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    The spent round is moving with the bolt, so it appears that it will eject as it is supposed once the bolt can travel far enough rearward.

The spent round is moving with the bolt, so it appears that it will eject as it is supposed once the bolt can travel far enough rearward.
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/4...ng-action.html

(Probably find other answers on this forum)

MGO Member
    The shot likely joggled some debris inside the action.
    There are youtube videos showing disassembly. Follow them and clean out the inner workings.
    I had this once on a Marlin 1894, where a primer popped out the back of a case and kept the action from fully cycling.

Also, try cocking the hammer back, than cycling the lever, it may help unstick the case.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

I am a Forum User
    IF all else fails, take it to Doug Jones & he'll tell you what's wrong & fix it for you

address: 2271 Star Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309
    Phone: (24 852-6490

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    IF all else fails, take it to Doug Jones & he'll tell you what's wrong & fix it for you

address: 2271 Star Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309
    Phone: (24 852-6490

MGO Member
    Thanks for all the reply’s, I have passed them off to him and hopefully we figure it out.

I am a Forum User
    Check the screws, particularly the loading gate screw, they tend to loosen up when fired and may cause the action to jam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast