Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member
    Just to close the loop, my friend finally got around to working on his marlin. He end up taking the stock off and there are two ears that locate it to the receiver, one was broken and blocking the hammer from fully traveling rearward. It appears it was already cracked and a previous owner tried to glue it. After removing the broken piece everything works as it should and is a beast to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by supermuns View Post
    Just to close the loop, my friend finally got around to working on his marlin. He end up taking the stock off and there are two ears that locate it to the receiver, one was broken and blocking the hammer from fully traveling rearward. It appears it was already cracked and a previous owner tried to glue it. After removing the broken piece everything works as it should and is a beast to shoot.
    Makes perfect sense, glue was crap, only good for a few shots.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by supermuns View Post
    Is he going to have a proper repair done on this broken ear/tab?
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MGO Member
    He is going have it repaired or buy a Boyd’s stock, not sure what he has decided yet.

I’d would skim bed the stock to the receiver if he decides to repair the chip and make sure there are no other cracks in the grip/wrist. I hade a similar break in a different make rifle that the gunsmith claimed was often caused by uneven fit resulting in a high spot that would continue to be a problem if left be. He used thinned bedding epoxy injected into a crack with regular bedding on the small chip and skimming the fit. It must have worked since that repair was done in the early 90s and it is still holding
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Not sure a boyds would look right, its his money but I would get it fixed or get a factory take off from numrich or someplace like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Not sure a bolds would look right, its his money but I would get it fixed or get a factory take off from numrich or someplace like that.
    Boyle’s offered a lot of OEM laminates at one time to a few firearm companies so if his stocks is one of these they should be able to match it. If not they also offer Walnut in various grades finished or non finished. Not saying they are his best bet but I would at least give them a call and see if he can save a few bucks and still get a good match.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12