Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Maryland ‘Assault Weapon’ Registration Bill Would Charge Gun Owners Up to $1000 Per Firearm

Maryland ‘Assault Weapon’ Registration Bill Would Charge Gun Owners Up to $1000 Per Firearm

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)

When you think of heavily gun controlled states, names like New York, California and New Jersey immediately come to mind. But don’t sleep on Maryland. The Eat Crab or Die State has long been at the forefront of Second Amendment rights abrogation and a new bill entered in the state’s House would move the Old Line State way up on the #gunsense hit parade.

HB 1261, authored by House Speaker Adrienne Jones along with Reps. Vanessa Atterbeary and Eric Luedke, was introduced Friday and would ban a range of firearms after October 1. It would also require those already owning assaulty-looking guns to register them.

But what makes the bill fairly unique is the escalating cost of registering “assault guns or copycat weapons” that kicks in after the bill’s deadline.

Registering with the Department of State Police before January 1, 2021 costs Marylanders nothing. But then complying with the law would require emptying your wallet.

Here’s the bill’s escalating penalty fee schedule:

1. ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 2021, AND BEFORE MAY 1, 2021, A REGISTRATION FEE NOT EXCEEDING $290 PER FIREARM;
    2. ON OR AFTER MAY 1, 2021, AND BEFORE NOVEMBER 1, 2022, A REGISTRATION FEE NOT EXCEEDING $580 PER FIREARM; AND
    3. ON OR AFTER NOVEMBER 1, 2022, AND BEFORE MAY 1, 2023, A REGISTRATION FEE NOT EXCEEDING $1,000 PER FIREARM.

I am a Forum User
    I believe one of the biggest reasons we don't have a state or national gun registry is the cost. Making gun owners pay for it is one way to get it done.

Canada gave up its long gun registry because of the cost.

I am a Forum User
    Seems like a good way to ensure noncompliance.

Quote Originally Posted by brass hat View Post
    Seems like a good way to ensure noncompliance.
    Yep, you kinda got to see the stupid in this "escalating" penalty thing.

If you miss the first chance to register for free, why would you then want to step up and pay them so you can give them information that they don't have and don't need.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/319...-observed-said

Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”

― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bold added by me for emphasis....
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

I am a Forum User
    I think they should charge to register people yearly that DO NOT own guns to off set the cost of hiring police to protect them.

I am a Forum User
    The government will continue to make criminals of otherwise honest people. Filthy sub-humans.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    I think they should charge to register people yearly that DO NOT own guns to off set the cost of hiring police to protect them.
    Leave it to Leader to think of that one!

MGO Member
    I heard that you will even have register your salad shooter.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Leave it to Leader to think of that one!

Or we could do like these five localities have done:

5-american-cities-that-require-you-to-own-a-gun I know, crappy reporting source.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.