Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Am I able to purchase handgun ammunition under 21 in Michigan?

I am happy to say I have finally purchased my first handgun with an LTP, a almost new (used twice) Walther pk380.

I was just curious if I could purchase ammunition for it at 19 years old?
    I would like to take it to the range (Some allow me to be under 21 as long as I bring my own handgun + ammunition).

Banned
    If you tell them it's for a carbine, sure.

I am a Forum User
    I didn't know I could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by radiohead1 View Post
    I didn't know I could do that.
    They may or may not sell to you. And technically, you're lying. As far as I know, there's no such thing as a "straw purchase" when it comes to ammo. I would just have someone 21+ buy the ammo for you and avoid the hassle.

Or go to any gun show and buy from a private non-ffl seller.

I am a Forum User
    I don't think anyone will sell you ammo if under 21. Everywhere I go I see signs you have to be 21.

I am a Forum User
    Buy it online, the last few times I ordered I don't remember it asking for age let alone any age verification.

Great site for finding the best ammo prices......

http://gunbot.net

Go to your local gun store. Most if the places that won't sell to you stopped carrying pistol ammo, anyway.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

Quote Originally Posted by radiohead1 View Post
    I am happy to say I have finally purchased my first handgun with an LTP, a almost new (used twice) Walther pk380.

I was just curious if I could purchase ammunition for it at 19 years old?
    I would like to take it to the range (Some allow me to be under 21 as long as I bring my own handgun + ammunition).
    Okay, I did the research on this 10 years ago. I have posted it a couple of times, and I see no reason not cut/paste it here too (I have to really search to find it when this subject comes up).

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...l=1#post918152

The law on this subject is not that complicated, and has been referenced in bits and pieces. To the best of my knowledge there is no State law on this subject, so it is only regulated by the Feds. U.S. Code Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 44 § 922 & 923 pretty much contains everything you need to know.

To properly address this subject, there are a couple of questions that need to be answered.

First question; Who can legally engage in the commercial sale of ammunition?
    Answer; Anyone!
    Cite: TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 923. Licensing
    (a) No person shall engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or importing or manufacturing ammunition, until he has filed an application with and received a license to do so from the Attorney General. The application shall be in such form and contain only that information necessary to determine eligibility for licensing as the Attorney General shall by regulation prescribe and shall include a photograph and fingerprints of the applicant. Each applicant shall pay a fee for obtaining such a license, a separate fee being required for each place in which the applicant is to do business, as follows:
    Notice in the first sentence that it is spelled out that a license is needed to deal firearms, but "dealing" for ammunition is not licensed. That is why you can purchase ammo at hardware stores and other places that do not sell firearms. No FFL is required to sell ammunition.

Next question: What regulations are there on the sale of ammunition?
    Answer: There are two classes of sellers with different rules for each.

The first class is FFL dealers that sell ammunition. FFL can sell rifle and shotgun ammo to anyone 18 or over 21 for "other than rifle or shotgun"
    Cite: TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 922. Unlawful acts
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    The second class is any seller (store or private person) that is not an FFL. The only legal limitations on these sales is for under 18 sales of ammunition that is "suitable for use only in a handgun".
    Cite: TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 922. Unlawful acts
    (x)
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
    (2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
    AND:
    (x)
    (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.
    I have clipped out only the portions having to do with sale/purchase of ammunition. The law continues with what constitutes legal possession and use.
    From this the only limitation is what is the seller willing to do. The law doesn't say anything about making a declaration that the use is only for a rifle or shotgun. There is also no limit listed for the age of someone purchasing rifle or shotgun ammunition.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Congratulations on purchasing your first gun. I brought up the purchase of ammo issue in your other thread.

Roundballer laid out the relevant laws really well. You can't legally purchase ammo from a FFL for a handgun. A lot of places have policies to not sell hand gun ammo to any one under 21 even if its legal for carbines.

Your options are:
    • Find someone to purchase for you, completely legal
    • Buy ammo from private sellers like from the classifieds here
    • Buy online while still not legal if they are an FFL many online sellers make no effort to check no matter what the policy on their website says
    • Find a local hardware or sporting goods store that's not an FFL that doesn't have a policy to not sell to any one under 21 or lie to them and convince them its for a carbine and its legal
    • Reload, you can legally buy all the components for reloading from an FFL or anyone.

Online is probably your cheapest/easiest option just know that it is illegal if they are an FFL. I've never even heard a rumor that someone was prosecuted for this. If you end up being the first come back and let us know. Does anyone know of an online ammo seller that's not an FFL?

I am a Forum User
    do not know of any carbines that shoot .380 cal...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast