Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Using Rifle Socks In Safe

Was thinking about getting socks for my rifles since my safe is getting crowded. Not for rust prevention but for dings and scratches when pulling a rifle out. Has anyone had bad experiences with them?

MGO Member
    everyone of my rifles are in gun socks only problem is which sock has which gun
    Last edited by ppruchnicki1; 02-18-2020 at 07:22 PM.

I feel dumb, my safe is full and I've been concerned about that very problem (dings, etc). Time to buy some me some socks, or.....another safe???
    Last edited by darnette; 02-18-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Cuz

Quote Originally Posted by ppruchnicki1 View Post
    A spool of white twill tape ($1.00 @ Jo-an Fabrics) and a sharpie (indelible laundry marker) write down what and tie it to (or stitch it) the sock.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Have used gun socks for my long guns forever. Never an issue. Sewing on a patch of some kind to ID them is a stellar idea.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Socks all the way. Handguns too..
    I like the guess what is in each sock.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppruchnicki1 View Post
    I just did this and had the same thought. I bought some small tags on a strings I'm going to run through the material with the name and caliber so I know. Just my thought.

I am a Forum User
    Not for storage, but for transport..
    Asked my wife (years ago) to sew some rifle & pistol bags (socks) for me..so that after they're used @ the range,
    when re-cased, the powder residue from the firearm wouldn't soil or stain the inside fleece / material of the gun case(s).
    I'd just bought a few new rifle & pistol cases..

She made me several types.. some made from a sheet, others made from an old blanket.
    Those made from the sheet are very thin, but do keep the inside of my cases clean.
    Those made from a blanket add additional padding, as it was heavier material.

All these covers are machine washable,.. when starting to look soiled, just throw them in the washing machine..come out looking new.
    Been using these for 20+ years..still look & work like new.

Think the idea of making them for stored long guns, esp. those with wood stocks, might be a good idea.

Time to look for an old blanket or 2 for the cause..

when I get them made, I'll use a magic marker to write what is inside the sock.

Most, if not all, of my rifle socks already have a tag at the muzzle end for writing gun ID info.
    Definitely helps prevent dents and scratches in a crowded safe.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the input everyone. Placed an order today. This is what I ordered in case someone wants to know.

https://www.amazon.com/Arcturus-Sili...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast