Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Browning HI-POWER

Hello Friends. I'm looking for a solution to the occasional hammer bite I get from my Browning. The gun is 30 to 40 years old. I took it to a shop and I was told that the hammer would have to be ground down. Well, can't have that, isn't there another option like an aftermarket hammer or a grip modification? Hep Me!

Change out hammer to a combat/ring hammer.

I am a Forum User
    I had the same issue and ended up installing a no-bite hammer from Cylinder and slide and it works like a charm.. i had to minor fit the current safety to work with the new hammer, just a little bit of filing.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0092

and here is a picture how it fits on my Hi Power:

Last edited by JimSig; 02-20-2020 at 09:37 AM.

send it to one of the custom shops get beavertail welded on and new hammer

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    send it to one of the custom shops get beavertail welded on and new hammer

I'd like to find a junker Hi Power to practice welding and fitting a beavertail.
    Can't quite work up the guts to try it on my '73.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I'd like to find a junker Hi Power to practice welding and fitting a beavertail.
    Can't quite work up the guts to try it on my '73.
    I wouldn't risk it on a nice one, is there someone that sells beavertails for hi powers or are you thinking a 1911 one and trimming it down.

I am a Forum User
    Mine bites really bad, but I was a bricklayer for years so the muscle that get bit is fatter than most. Do the hammer first then see about the beavertail, you might find you dont need it. Gotta get mine done too but going to do sights-hammer-safty all at once.

I am a Forum User
    I thought about the beaver tail and i talked to cylinder and slide and the cost was around $250 for the beaver tail only.. That's too much money for one feature to put on a Hi power, a gun that I only shoot at the range for shear enjoyment and historic nostalgia. I am not planning on using it in competitions or anything in that mater. So I opted for a novak sights - black rear and fiber optic front ($90), and a no bite hammer for $80. I polished the heck out of the sear to the hammer and took the lifter spring out as well as the mag connect spring and pusher, and ended up with a super crisp 4 lb trigger.. to go below this I need a new sear, but 4 lb is much better than with what i started with around 6.5 lbs.

Oh and i added a $15 grip ..

MGO Member
    Thanks so much my Friends!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast