Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

MGO in Action - MUCC. Change the "trunk" language

On March 7th there will be a MUCC Quarterly Policy Board Meeting at the Ashley Sportsman Club (8554 S Mason Rd, Bannister, MI 48807) from 10:00 to 4:00

I will be speaking and presenting this resolution in order to rescind an outdated MUCC policy.
    The outdated policy hindered the efforts of a pro 2A State Representative recently and it may come into play again.
    If MGO's Proposed Resolution #S gets approved on 3/7/20, then I will be speaking in front of hundreds in June to get them to approve.

If you can join me on 3/20, please do! The MUCC committees meet from 10-noon, then lunch, then the voting begins.

At this time, this meeting does not afford MGO a vote, but I'm working on that between elections and appointments.

MGO has two votes at the June MUCC annual convention - we just have to get it there first!

As Submitted for MUCC PB Consideration
    Proposed Resolution #S
    Submitted by: JackAm, Michigan Gun Owners
    MUCC Region: 9
    Proposed: March 7, 2020 Conservation Policy Board Meeting

Title: Rescind Outdated MUCC Policy AC740676 and AC760676 Regarding Firearm
    Transportation in a Vehicle

1 WHEREAS, Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) passed two resolutions in 1976 to require that

2 all guns be encased, and the case be inaccessible when being transported in a motor vehicle and all guns be

3 locked in the trunk when being transported in a motor vehicle; and

4 WHEREAS, based on the rise of SUV and pickup truck sales the majority of vehicles driven on Michigan’s

5 roads no longer have separated trunks; and

6 WHEREAS, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) has language that allows for various

7 legal alternatives to transporting firearms in a trunk (hunting and trapping digest page 21); and

8 WHEREAS, the Michigan Legislature has since passed laws allowing firearms to be transported uncased

9 in the passenger area of the vehicle; and

10 WHEREAS, MUCC supports the safe handling of firearms; and

11 WHEREAS, twenty-five states allow firearms to be transported uncased in a vehicle; and

12 WHEREAS, transporting an unloaded firearm inside the vehicle has not been documented as a safety issue

13 in any of the states in our nation that allow it; NOW,

14 THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Michigan United Conservation Clubs’ outdated policy that

15 all firearms being transported in a motor vehicle must be encased and the case positively secured from

16 access to vehicle occupants, policy AC740676 be rescinded; and

17 BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Michigan United Conservation Clubs’ outdated policy that all

18 firearms being transported in a motor vehicle must be in the trunk of a vehicle, policy AC770676 be

19 rescinded.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Board of Directors

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Good Deal! We should attempt to take the DNR/NRC completely out of the firearms law. All firearms law should originate in the legislature, via the MCL. DNR/NRC should only have a say in firearms law as it pertains to hunting(caliber,mag limit, etc.) The transport, storage etc laws should be sole domain of MCL.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Patron Member
    NRA Handgun Instructor
    USCCA Handgun Instructor

I am a Forum User
    Thank you Jack, you're doing great work, we appreciate you stepping up and into this roll!

MGO Board of Directors

As I reported on in the other thread in this section of the forum, The MUCC policy board voted unanimously to send this rescinding resolution to the annual convention for a final vote.

This policy hurt us in the past. We're working on making sure it never hurts firearm owners again.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Board of Directors

UPDATE FROM Jackam

I am happy to report that the resolution proposals that I submitted to the MUCC Policy Board were voted upon and passed. One of these proposals was to strike a couple of old tie-barred MUCC resolutions. When a state legislator introduced legislation in Lansing to allow uncased firearms in vehicles on private property, MUCC was obligated to testify against this bill. This infuriated pro-2A legislators and hurt the bill. The bill now sits in the State Senate waiting for another hearing. I am pleased to announce that MUCC will no longer be in opposition to the more liberal carry law proposal because these old tie-barred resolutions have been repealed!

The other resolution proposal that passed needed a 2/3 majority vote. It would direct MUCC to actively lobby to get a law changed. It is currently illegal to have an uncased firearm (CPL firearms excluded) in or UPON a vehicle. This law makes criminals of anyone the sets or leans a firearm on or against a vehicle. Because of this resolution, and MUCCs lobbying efforts, perhaps one day soon a target shooter can use the hood of his truck to steady his rifle while he takes aim and the exterior of vehicles will no longer be gun free zones!
    Folks, this is HUGE! Jack has effected positive change at MUCC on behalf of gun owners in Michigan!

THANK YOU JACK for all of your hard work on this!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.