Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Question What legally has to be done to build AR pistol without a CPL.

I have done a lot of searching in these forums on the confusing topic of registering a built AR pistol. From what I have read, there is no way to properly fill out RI-060 if the AR pistol was built from a virgin stripped lower that was purchased from an FFL. But every case I see involves a person who has a MI CPL. What about someone who does not have a CPL?

All I want to know is: As someone without a CPL, what do I need to do to build a legal AR pistol in this damn state?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cts001 View Post
    I have done a lot of searching in these forums on the confusing topic of registering a built AR pistol. From what I have read, there is no way to properly fill out RI-060 if the AR pistol was built from a virgin stripped lower that was purchased from an FFL. But every case I see involves a person who has a MI CPL. What about someone who does not have a CPL?

All I want to know is: As someone without a CPL, what do I need to do to build a legal AR pistol in this damn state?

Thanks.
    You don't need anything to legally build any type of pistol (from scratch).

The issue comes when you try to record your acquisition in the data base. The forms and laws create a convoluted system that prohibits you from registering something that you already own. The same is true for someone that moves into Michigan from another State, that condition is not accounted for in our laws.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Build it, shoot it, enjoy it. It's really that simple. Too bad the laws sound so complicated.

Dice

I am a Forum User
    Put a pistol tube and brace on the back side, then add a 10.5" or shorter upper and shoot it. That's it. Enjoy.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Put a pistol tube and brace on the back side, then add a 10.5" or shorter upper and shoot it. That's it. Enjoy.
    That's my plan exactly. SBA3 with a 10.5 in barrel. So if I get pulled over for speeding going to/from the range, and I have it properly stored in the trunk, I should be fine?

I am a Forum User
    Without a CPL, all transport laws apply.
    Encased, in the trunk, unloaded.
    Last edited by Quads; 02-24-2020 at 04:21 PM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cts001 View Post

Thanks.
    ANS: Buy an AR-15 pistol lower stripped or complete pistol lower from a FFL. FFL & you fill out proper forms, if you are old enough. Hand FFL $, finish pistol assembly & enjoy.

I am a Forum User
    So just to confirm. I bought a complete lower with an already attached SBA3 Brace from Aim Surplus and had it shipped to my local FFL. I bought it using my CPL. I now have a 8 inch 300 Blackout upper on it.

If I understand, I do not need to complete an RI-60 to send to the MSP?

Sorry to beat a dead horse..........

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mofeen View Post
    So just to confirm. I bought a complete lower with an already attached SBA3 Brace from Aim Surplus and had it shipped to my local FFL. I bought it using my CPL. I now have a 8 inch 300 Blackout upper on it.

If I understand, I do not need to complete an RI-60 to send to the MSP?

Sorry to beat a dead horse..........
    No RI-60. You bought a receiver, then assembled it into a pistol.