Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Need help on Woode grips Refinish - Please !!!

So As some of you migh remember couple months back I had the itch for a browning hi power:

So I got a surplus hi power that I semi customized, but I hated the black plastic grips:

But since I couldn't afford the original wood grips that are being sold in the ~$150-$200 range, I ended up with these $15 pachmayr grips:

Last week I found a pair of wood grips that costed me $23, it took some fitting and grinding to accommodate the ambi safety and I have this:

However, they don't have the classical color or finish that I really like but I can't afford.. Or I can not justify the price to have. So here is my question:

Is there a way to make the current finish on the current wood grips look something similar to this (see below)
    Last edited by JimSig; 02-26-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Take the finish off. The grips are walnut. Then use a clear finish.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    Take the finish off. The grips are walnut. Then use a clear finish.
    Any recommendation on the clear finish ... thanks.. I have zero knowledge of wood finishing skills.. I am researching youtube but I am lost as to the amount of conflicting info.

Use Varathane polyurethane satin finish. Easy to work with hard shell finish. Home Depo sells it. Once you remove the old finish if it's to dark in wood tone color you might want to try a bleach solution.

If it's to light of wood tone color the sun can be your friend.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Account Closed Forum User
    Tru-oil or boiled linseed oil
    Top coats (clear coats) could make the grips slick

I am a Forum User
    the grips are dark as you can see in the third picture and I want to lighten them as in the forth picture, but I do not want them to be too slick as I like them to be grippy and functional.. I just want to lighten them

MGO Member
    Yes strip the grips.

Then -
    A finish I like is roughly 3 parts boiled linseed oil + 3 parts mineral spirits + 1 part polyurethane.

takes several light coats.
    one recommendation is -
    finish once a day for about a week
    then once a week until you like it

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    Use Varathane polyurethane satin finish. Easy to work with hard shell finish. Home Depo sells it. Once you remove the old finish if it's to dark in wood tone color you might want to try a bleach solution.

If it's to light of wood tone color the sun can be your friend.

You may find you have the old finish going pretty deep in the wood and depending on what it is, a oil finish my not work or turn out spotty if it wont take over the old. Strip and bleach to your desired shade of color and go with a poly type finish. This what most gunstocks have on them today from the factor and they provide the toughest and most weather proof protection you are going to get. If you want a matte type finish a little rubbing with a rotten stone slurry will tone a gloss finish to a satin oil look in no time.
    Do not use steel wool on your grips as any little pieces that break off and get imbedded will rust over time leaving a discolored spot.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Thanks to all who helped in this thread.. After couple of trials, I think I am on the right path.. Here is a picture of the grips as of today..

[IMG][/IMG]

Account Closed Forum User
    Looks real good Jim!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast