Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: tommy gun

tommy gun

Son won a new Thompson replica Model (1927 A-1) Can't say enough about how cool it is. Got the drum, violin case, etc.

Think it has issues because even by reading the dreaded owners manual, I can NOT pull the bolt all the way back. Moves an inch or so & then just has so much resistance it stops. It HAS last round hold open feature.

It is FFL NEW & has never been loaded. Just wondering if any of you guys may have one or in some way can point me in the right direction to getting it to work. It feels like it has a 50# spring in it. It is 45 ACP, but should have maybe a 16-30 # spring.

Going to see if I can get the stock off & the bolt out tomorrow.

I've shot 50 cal's & the charging handle is NOTHING compared to this. I shot a Lahti when I was in Sardinia, Bad ass. 20 MM anti tank
    cannon, Charging it was not as hard as this thing.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

The recoil springs are a lot harder than an original tommy as the Semiauto version has two recoil springs added and uses the original recoil spring as the striker/hammer spring. Since these are blowback and not locked they mainly go off of bolt weight. The semi receivers and bolts aren't as tall as the originals so the bolts have less weight to them. To keep from beating the receiver AO went with a stupid heavy recoil spring. If you've ever shot an original the difference is night and day. It'll loosen up SLIGHTLY when you run a few hundred rounds through it, but it will still very hard to pull back. There is a aftermarket lighter weight "ez spring kit" available that comes with an added buffer but is not recommended for the aluminum receiver if that is the one you have. I've got the steel receiver with the removable stock. The mags are cheaper to buy as USGI mags and then change the mag catch hole to a slot to match the semi mags. The mag catch hole on them is different because the original receivers and bolts are taller. I just use the palm of my hand behind the little finger to push the bolt back. If you have the drum the "third hand" bolt hold open is very helpful but you can use the drum without. Debating getting a stamp and putting on a 10.5" barrel or installing the 14.5" + welded on comp to get a legal 16.25" barrel that I do have. While the shorter 14.5" looks better than the longer one it came with, the shorty looks better yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moleman-; 03-02-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Pretty much a useless wall hanger to me.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

They're still fun to shoot although impractical. Wasn't wearing bifocals when I got mine, over the years it became harder and harder to see the rear sight since on the AO copy they put the rear sight v blade on the fold down side so close to your eye. Replaced it with an original Lyman type which has the V further out, but eventually it became impossible to see as well. So I just use the aperture sight on the ladder side of the sight. You can replace the rear sight with the ladder sight out of a 1917/1919 Enfield which I may do at some point just to have a peep sight when the sight is folded.
    Here's the lighter spring and buffer kit. https://www.howellarms.com/worldwar2...matic-thompson

Looks like dppriem12 beat me to the kit link.

Told him to sell it & get something else. Only cost him $40 for the raffle ticket.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User

Thompson and it's simplistic beauty

Did you know that when Browning was considering furniture designs for it's Buck Mark unlimited silhouette's furniture, they sent the prototype pistol off with a knockoff of a Thompson forearm in place.
    Misunderstanding the intent of the simplistic design upon it's arrival, the designers adopted it's lines literally and to this day that model of Buck Mark bears a strong resemblance to a Thompson design.
    https://flic.kr/p/2iAf1vz

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Told him to sell it & get something else. Only cost him $40 for the raffle ticket.
    I got 50 bucks right now!��

Dice

I knew that was coming. Typical MGO IDIOCY
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING