Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Waiting time for RI-010 form?

If I go into my local sheriffs office to get the RI-010 form (not the RI-060 form for CPL and FFL) and take the quick basic safety pistol test and and have a background check, is there a waiting period to get the form and be able to get the pistol? Or if everything checks out right there do I get the form then and am able to buy a pistol from a private dealer and return it to the office within 10 days?

There is no "test" any more. You are supposed to be able to walk in, apply, they do the check, and you walk out with the LTP (RI-010) in hand.

There is no legal waiting period. You will have to get YOUR signature notarized, and your bank generally does it for free. The LEO office may offer to do it for you, but the maximum fee that can be charged for that is $10.00.

Unfortunately, each department wants to add their own rules to the process and there are no repercussions for them jerking you around. But the law says that IF they do issue the permits, they have to issue to any not disqualified Michigan resident.

When you do get the permit, you have 30 days to use it (make the purchase) and then ten days to return it to where you got it from (just mail it in).

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    I always get about a 24 hour delay with NICS checks, can I expect the same with the Shelby Twp Police when applying for a LTP?