Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

SB 0818 of 2020 - Allow authorized agents of county road commission to carry a firearm

SB 0818 of 2020
    Traffic control; traffic regulation; authorized agent of county road commission; allow to carry firearm under certain circumstances. Amends sec. 726c of 1949 PA 300 (MCL 257.726c).
    Last Action: 3/4/2020 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON LOCAL GOVERNMENT
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Currently, county road commission workers are prohibited from carrying firearms while enforcing certain sections of the motor vehicle code.

This bill would change that and remove that prohibition.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

The scope of the motor vehicle code sections related to this "enforcement" appear to be motor carrier / commercial vehicle related.

I guess I was unaware that the county road commissions have "enforcement" officers...

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    The scope of the motor vehicle code sections related to this "enforcement" appear to be motor carrier / commercial vehicle related.

I guess I was unaware that the county road commissions have "enforcement" officers...

I don't know how widespread it is... The county I live in doesn't have any ( or at least I've never seen a marked vehicle). The county I work in has road commission truck marked "scale enforcement".

What's stopping them now? Sounds like a policy issue at the county level.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

A bill to amend 1949 PA 300, entitled

"Michigan vehicle code,"

by amending section 726c (MCL 257.726c), as amended by 2016 PA 304.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

Sec. 726c. (1) A duly authorized agent of a county road commission when enforcing sections 215, 255, 631(1), 717, 719, 719a, 720, 722, 724, 725, and 726 shall wear a shoulder patch that is clearly visible and identifies the branch of government represented.

(2) A duly authorized agent of a county road commission shall not carry a firearm while enforcing sections 215, 255, 631(1), 717, 719, 719a, 720, 722, 724, 725, and 726 unless he or she is licensed or certified as a police officer under the Michigan commission on law enforcement standards act, 1965 PA 203, MCL 28.601 to 28.615. may carry a firearm.
    They are giving police powers to certain individuals, and then arming them, without any form law enforcement standards requirement.

I don't see this ending well. It reads like they are creating armed bullies, most likely with qualified immunity.

The modern version of "Brown Shirts" for the commercial motor vehicles.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I worked for a road commission. Things got heated quick when the director in a not so pleasant way would go knock on doors and just tell people we were going to dig up their new concrete driveway and would only be replacing it with a dump of hot mix after. “Too bad...OPERATOR...DIG IT UP NOW”

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post

In Alpena county the road commission enforces weight restrictions on county roads in the spring.

I am a Forum User
    The Berrien County weight master has been armed for as long as they have had one, probably 25-30 years.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    They are giving police powers to certain individuals, and then arming them, without any form law enforcement standards requirement.

I don't see this ending well. It reads like they are creating armed bullies, most likely with qualified immunity.

The modern version of "Brown Shirts" for the commercial motor vehicles.
    I think they would need to have a CPL to carry (including in and out of vehicles). There are no exceptions to PA381 for them, AFAIK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast