Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loc tite

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tkurban53 View Post
    Hi, Joe. Can I ask for more specifics? Are you saying that Blue 242 does not hold well (I've never had that problem)? If you've ever had to loosen Red 271 did you have to use heat? I just don't know what "good luck with that" means. Thx.
    Okay, mike, and others, got it right.
    If the threads aren't clean, and the fit isn't close, none of it works.
    I've found 271 best all around, especially where the mechanical fit isn't perfect.
    I've not had to resort to heat to remove, just good fitting tools.
    Look, are ya takin it apart time and again? Or do ya just want it to stay tight?
    Red

Joe

MGO Member
    Red is for permanent thread lock. Blue is for semi-removal screws. If the screw is small sometimes you still have to apply some heat to remove or the screw head will be damaged, and a trip to the gunsmith is in order, just ask me how I know that. If a small screw with blue loctite has to be removed, try to loosen first if is still locked in place, use an electric soldering iron and apply heat and it will come out. If red loctite is used, heat MUST be applied but and damage might happen to the guns finish. I applied blue loctite to all my Ruger Vaqueros and Blackhawks grip frame screws 44 mags. 20 years ago, and they are still tight. All the screws and tapped holes must be clean of oil ect.

MGO Member
    Purple for the small screws. Never had a problem with it coming loose.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgsailor View Post
    I have a Blackhawk 41 mag that I shoot and about every third time out I have to tighten some of the screws. This is a pia as I have to dismount the scope to do it. What loc tite should I be using?
    None, until you figure out WHY 'whatever' is working loose every few shooting times keeps working loose.

You didn't mention exactly what is coming loose but it sort of sounds like the scope base???

Are the screws actually turning out FIRST, or is the part coming loose under the retention screws then the screws becoming loose? You might mark (index paint) the screw slot to "whatever" then keep checking as you shoot to see if the screws are actually turning first, or if the screw clocking is staying the same but the part is coming loose on the screws.

If you don't identify the reason that the screws are coming loose every few times shooting then using Loc-Tite will make the screws stay tight in their threads but might not keep the retained part from becoming loose on the retained screws. Once Lock-Tited you will have a difficult time re-tightening them (especially if you use red Lock-Tite).

On small screws (like scope bases & the like) I have always had them stay tight using purple (222) Loc-Tite as long as the retained part fits properly, threads are clean, & the screws are a proper fit / proper use for retaining the part. At least using 222 allows the screws to be easily tightened more if the part still works loose. You will have to re-Lock-Tite the screws but at least you can easily check/move them.

At least start with Loc-Tite 222, then if your part stays tight while shooting, at next removal switch to blue 242 as a more permanent retention. (if screws are very small use purple 222, if the screws are moderately small use blue 242, if the screws are large then use red 271. Red 271 is pretty darn permanent on smaller screws unless you can find a way to significantly heat the Loc-Tited area without damage at removal time.

I am a Forum User
    Oh, just commit and go with JB Weld!

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    None, until you figure out WHY 'whatever' is working loose every few shooting times keeps working loose. .
    Because that's what tiny screws in scope bases on pistols do. Always have, likely always will. Which is why almost every base and scope manufacturer, every gunsmith, recommends some sort of thread locking compound.

Same reason every fixture we build at work ends up with lock washers on the bolts, machines end up with thread locker on the screws/bolts we can't put washers on... vibration causes bolts/screws to rotate.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12