Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Changing point of impact on fixed sight revolver...

I have a Ruger SP101, 3" barrel in .327 Federal Magnum. It has fixed sights, the revolver hits about 2" low and to the right about 12 yards. I have tried several brands of ammo and my reloads that duplicate factory loads and all hit within the same area. Now to raise the point of impact I should lower the front sight and to file the rear sight channel on the left side to bring the point of impact to the center...correct?

If possible is there another way to change the point of impact?

I am a Forum User
    Correct.

Other than building up the back sight somehow.

I am a Forum User
    Heres what I would do. But, first. Get inside the defensive zone. I believe it is 21 feet and closer to you. Be concerned for your health with intruder that close to you. Shoot some targets at 18 feet. If you still need to adjust your sights,, fine. I think you will be closer to POA at 18 feet than 36 feet. Don't shoot someone at 36 feet. You will be in trouble. That's my 2 cents worth,,,,FWIW,, Eric

Is the front sight canted / off-center? WOuldn't be the first time a Ruger revolver barrel was not screwed into the frame to make the front sight truly vertical.

I am a Forum User
    2 inches low is livable at 12 yards for a fixed sight revolver. How far to the right is it hitting?

Can you drift the rear sight any or is it a milled slot in the top strap?

Is the front sight replaceable? Is it bendable?

Shoot a group of 20 shots or so and how big is the group?

Regards,
    Cranky

I am a Forum User
    The point of impact is 2" low and 2" to the right. The rear sight is part of the frame. The sight is replaceable but to small to bend.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Heres what I would do. But, first. Get inside the defensive zone. I believe it is 21 feet and closer to you. Be concerned for your health with intruder that close to you. Shoot some targets at 18 feet. If you still need to adjust your sights,, fine. I think you will be closer to POA at 18 feet than 36 feet. Don't shoot someone at 36 feet. You will be in trouble. That's my 2 cents worth,,,,FWIW,, Eric
    Not being rude but you don’t know what you are talking about here

I am a Forum User
    Are you sure it’s not you? I don’t know your experience with different guns but people that grew up on striker guns have issues with DA revolvers, have you tried shooting it left handed to see if the POI changes ?

Bench fire to see if it's you or the gun.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Benched the revolver...solid rest...all in the same group...low and right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast