Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Expanded Hunting given current health concerns?

Given the current upheaval in the world, would there ever be an expanded hunting season or special permits issued to allow people to hunt to provide for their family?

Full disclosure: I have faith in the supply chain and while there may be some difficulties, I don't foresee massive food shortages. That being said, I would much prefer to go sit in my tree stand and provide for my family while following social distancing guidelines instead of braving a trip to the super market for some hamburger.

Has DNR ever done anything like that? Anybody have any opinions?

(Yes, if things get really bad, the DNR issuing poaching citations is the last of our concerns but I don't really think it's going to be like that so let's not go there in the discussion)

I am a Forum User
    Good question.

If it were so bad that the government would have to consider allowing hunting for food, I would think we would be at a point where martial law would have already been in effect. Panic buying like we have right now is one thing, but prolonged food outages resulting in the need for hunting to provide is something different.

I think the move would also signal the government has lost control of basic services and I can't see the current administration tipping their hand that way?

With that being said, I suspect most on here wouldn't wait for permission

I am a Forum User
    I think that might only happen if the supply chain hits some road blocks. But I don't see that happening.

Some states have a similar idea already. Pennsylvania and a few others are offering the online hunter's education course for free.

A very long time ago in a place in the Upper Peninsula my father got a deer in our side field with the aid of a car headlight and battery. As he was inspecting his work a Conservation Officer came up and asked him what he was gonna do with that deer.

Dad, having been off work for a few months, truthfully said: "I'm going to feed my family." The Conservation Officer walked away and we all ate venison.

Now that was in a day and age far different from where we are now and in a place where folks knew everyone well enough to know their circumstances. I strongly suspect such would NOT be the case now.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

MGO Member
    Don't need a season or government to tell me it's okay to feed my family.

In purple to not offend snowflakes on here.