Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Why not just use a bore snake? Allows you to clean from the breech without harming the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by mudoven View Post
    Why not just use a bore snake? Allows you to clean from the breech without harming the crown.
    Bore Snake does a mediocre job of cleaning. Great for a quick wipe out at the range, but not as thorough as a proper cleaning.
    And, bore snakes drag contaminates back through the barrel on subsequent passes.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

In Memoriam Forum User
    Aluminum or brass cleaning rods will not harm the crown. Stainless steel rods if your not careful may over time cause some wear.
    Last edited by VIGILANT; 03-21-2020 at 05:45 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    First one I did I ended up running a piece of welding rod down the bore and used it to create a witness mark in the Dykem I painted on the inside of the action. Remove the barrel, carefully drill from the inside....
    Protip: Tig weld a #10 drill bit on the end of a piece of 308L rod (or similar hardness) and use that to drill a pilot hole which can then be drilled to the proper size from the outside of the receiver. No fancy jig required.

MGO Member
    Over at RimfireCentral.com there are a coupe of jigs floating around with everything that you need to drill it out. Very precise setup. Easy to use. No charge to use it. Just pay for the postage to the next guy on the list requesting to use it. Very short time to get the assembly once you are on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    Aluminum or brass cleaning rods will not harm the crown. Stainless steel rods if your not careful may over time cause some wear.
    Aluminum is frowned on in some circles because debris can embed in it and scratch the bore/crown/chamber.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Aluminum is frowned on in some circles because debris can embed in it and scratch the bore/crown/chamber.
    Brass will also. Primer grit contains considerable silica which is very abrasive when embedded in a rod and drug over the crown. Also aluminum corrodes (that white powder on your old aluminum rod or home siding) producing aluminum oxide which is widely used as an abrasive. This is not something you want to run down your bore repeatedly.
    Clean with a one piece SS rod from the breech using a rod guide if possible. Be careful to keep from dragging and banging your rod excessively on the crown as it exits the bore also.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I have a couple of precision barreled Rugers that I have drilled the rear cleaning rod access hole. Problem is, I seldom use that hole due to the barreled actions being mounted in custom chassis that doesn't allow access to the hole without removing the action from the chassis. Removing the barreled action from the chassis disrupts the accuracy until a re-sight-in & tweak/play with the action torques so I seldom remove the action from the chassis if I can avoid it. About once a year I do a complete disassembly for a thorough cleaning but as a rule it stays assembled until I store for extended periods.

My daily, at the range, or for a quick barrel cleaning, work-around is to use a homemade bore snake made from some high test fishing line. On end of the line is weighted to drop through the barrel from the rear & the other end has a threaded brass tear drop that allows screwing on a barrel brush or a jag. (works good for a quick barrel clean up).

For a better cleaning (like after an extended range session, or for better lead removal) I use a .17 caliber cleaning rod. The .17 cal rod is a smaller diameter so fits in the barrel with more clearance. The only problem with the, 17 cal rod is the threads are smaller so I need to buy special (smaller thread) .22 brushes & jag for the .17 cal rod threads (or, I have in the past) re-threaded standard .22 brushes & jags to fit the .17 rod.

I have a custom (homemade) Delran front cleaning rod guide that snaps over the barrel muzzle & keeps the rod from dragging on the muzzle/crown front. That works great to prevent the rod from dragging on the barrel crown area.

The only modification that I have made to the .17 cleaning rod is to add a custom made handle with a smooth turning low drag bearing so the rod spins freely to follow the rifling more precisely.

For most .22 guns a standard .17 cal cleaning rod is plenty long enough. I am shooting longer barrels on my .22 precision guns so I needed to find a longer .17 cal cleaning rod.

I am not a ruger guy, but has anyone removed part of the stock, and found a screw in plug, then you do not need to remove it form the stock. You bed it, torque, never touch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I am not a ruger guy, but has anyone removed part of the stock, and found a screw in plug, then you do not need to remove it form the stock. You bed it, torque, never touch it again.
    Hmmm.

Now I need to buy a cheap stock and fixture it in the milling machine...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast