Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Ranges?

I am a Forum User
    I've been looking very forward to the snow melting up here so I can build out my permanent range. With ammo scarcity and prices...I'll still build it but certainly won't be putting as much downrange.

I am an RSO at HPSA (Huron Pointe Sportsman's Association) and our board closed the whole club as of last Sunday, the last day the rifle/pistol range was open. I worked that day. I thought our outdoor ranges should still be open and perhaps only the indoor archery and clubhouse should be closed but that is not what the board decided. They even closed it to us RSO's who normally can open the range on off days for private shooting. Public shooting was only on Weekends for rifle/pistol. I have no idea when we might be open again.
    Dave
    NRA Life (Benefactor) Member
    NRA-RSO Cert
    GOA Member
    Huron Pointe Sportsmen's Association Member

I am a Forum User
    If your club is open can one still go to it during the governors shelter in place order?

Here’s a question.....would a CO hassle you on public land during the lockdown for not being indoors? I have property on the edge of the HNF, and I have yet to see a soul in my preferred shooting spot.

I am a Forum User
    Nothing in the "House Arrest" order from the elected Crown says you can't go for a walk, exercise, go outside, etc. In fact it encourages getting outside. The general emphasis is no gathering.
    I've been out daily with the kids and dogs, around the neighborhood, and on state land / parks.

That's how I read and interpret it. YMMV.

My club closed its' ranges today. The letter, from our club president, on behalf of the Board of Directors, said, in part"

"It is with sincere displeasure that I must inform everyone that the ranges are closed effective March 28, 2020 until 9am April 14, 2020 or until such time as Governor Whitmer’s executive order 2020-21 is expired or there is no longer a “stay home” order affecting travel and use of public and private facilities in the state. This was a decision made at an emergency meeting of the board of directors today and was not taken lightly. The meeting was held due to the lack of response from the AG and Governor’s offices for guidance on the subject. All public ranges are closed as well as many private ones.
    Some of the key points in closing the ranges were,
    1. Compliance with Executive Order 2020-21. “This order must be construed broadly to prohibit in-person work that is not necessary to sustain or protect life.”
    2. Hygiene guidelines. Apparently, the Coronavirus endures in cooler temperatures and on metal objects. Like the lock to get in, firearms, ammunition, certain range facilities, etc. We have no employees to decontaminate surfaces at the ranges.
    3. Putting other members at risk in shared facilities.

I’m certain that many of you are reading this with concern to the second amendment. We also share that earnestness. I, for one, am offended by the outright suspension of the right to peaceably assemble guaranteed by the first amendment as well. Throughout this whole process we have endured and continue to, things that are evolving rapidly. As an American citizen I am very watchful of government intervention of our rights.

As such, I have repeatedly contacted the Attorney General’s office to seek clarification as to close or remain open for just the ranges. I have not had a simple yes or no answer and have not found one that will satisfy it. Including looking at the FAQ for the state “that is updated almost hourly” and has not changed in three days. My request has been forwarded by the AG office to the Governor’s office for a decision. Since we are a gun range, I’m not optimistic in a timely or satisfactory reply. Since we have not been able to get a response up or down, we, the executive board, have elected to close the ranges.
    In addition to the ranges closing until April 14 at 9am, the board has voted to cancel or postpone all other operations on the COSC grounds until April 14th or such time as the stay home order is lifted. "

It does not surprise me that our AG's and Governor's offices are avoiding a response, and the executive order was less than clear as to what is, and what is not, allowable. It is a shame that those who are making these rules are avoiding telling us what these rules are.

So, I'll be home, cleaning and reloading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12