Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Anyone shooting o state land now that DNR ranges closed?

Anyone shooting o state land now that DNR ranges closed?

I have only ever used the DNR ranges and have never just set up a paper target on State Land to shoot at.

Is it really as simple as walking on to State Land, setting up a target in a safe area and shooting?

Thanks

MGO Member
    It’s illegal to target shoot on state recreation area land in SE Michigan such as Holly or Ortonville ,Pontiac lake etc.
    it may be legal on state game areas like Lapeer but I am not sure about that.

I am a Forum User
    There is pockets of state land open to hunting all over Oakland Co. that I see no reason you could not set up a target on. I have two pcs. of state land that I hunted many years ago within 15min. of me. Should be no problem finding a location close to you by looking it up on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    There is pockets of state land open to hunting all over Oakland Co. that I see no reason you could not set up a target on. I have two pcs. of state land that I hunted many years ago within 15min. of me. Should be no problem finding a location close to you by looking it up on the web.
    You have to be very careful with the idea that: hunting = ok therefore target = ok.

Target shooting is NOT allowed on Recreation Area land, except at established ranges. Hunting IS allowed on Recreation Area lands as designated by the NRC.
    Target shooting is Allowed on State Game Area land except if there is a "Land use Order" prohibiting, or if it is Posted "No Hunting".
    AND, those are not hard and fast rules

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    You have to be very careful with the idea that: hunting = ok therefore target = ok.

Target shooting is NOT allowed on Recreation Area land, except at established ranges. Hunting IS allowed on Recreation Area lands as designated by the NRC.
    Target shooting is Allowed on State Game Area land except if there is a "Land use Order" prohibiting, or if it is Posted "No Hunting".
    This is correct. I did some small game hunting at Lapeer State Game Area yesterday. The entire SGA is OFF LIMITS for target shooting. You are still allowed to hunt. Stopped by a party store close by and the cashier lady said DNR is patrolling heavily. Also ran into 2 illegal ORVs while hunting. And it sounded like there was a lot of recreational blasting going on in the area, of course I can't say that wasn't on private land. My whole time there I felt a little nervous, half expected to find my truck shot up.

Was a nice day to walk the 22 around. Shot at one squirrel and missed.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bradepb View Post
    It’s illegal to target shoot on state recreation area land in SE Michigan such as Holly or Ortonville ,Pontiac lake etc.
    it may be legal on state game areas like Lapeer but I am not sure about that.
    The Lapeer Pit was created on state game area land.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkledshirt View Post
    This is correct. I did some small game hunting at Lapeer State Game Area yesterday. The entire SGA is OFF LIMITS for target shooting. You are still allowed to hunt. Stopped by a party store close by and the cashier lady said DNR is patrolling heavily. Also ran into 2 illegal ORVs while hunting. And it sounded like there was a lot of recreational blasting going on in the area, of course I can't say that wasn't on private land. My whole time there I felt a little nervous, half expected to find my truck shot up.

So is target shooting not allowed on State Game Area land AND not allowed on Recreational Area land right now? Is there anywhere we can go to target shoot that is not private property?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkledshirt View Post

Ok lets take this place for example, since its right down the street. Its a state game area that allows hunting and that I cannot find a land use order prohibiting target shooting, unless I don't know what Im looking for. Could I just find a spot to park, make sure Im away from anyone or anything and set up some paper targets here? If so, I'll be heading out in 30 minutes with a crap ton of ammo and my new ar pistol if anyone wants to join me.

http://www.michigandnr.com/publicati...ke_SGA_map.pdf
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...p_549444_7.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by TylerV76 View Post
    Ok lets take this place for example, since its right down the street. Its a state game area that allows hunting and that I cannot find a land use order prohibiting target shooting, unless I don't know what Im looking for. Could I just find a spot to park, make sure Im away from anyone or anything and set up some paper targets here? If so, I'll be heading out in 30 minutes with a crap ton of ammo and my new ar pistol if anyone wants to join me.

http://www.michigandnr.com/publicati...ke_SGA_map.pdf
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...p_549444_7.pdf
    From the rules on the back of the map:
    "Unlawful to target shoot at anything except paper, cardboard, clay, or one created for target shooting"

IANAL so what do the "or" refer to? the "anything" if it is created for target shooting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast