Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Lets talk AR Pistol optics...Again

Ive gone through a few of these threads and still cannot decide what to do here. I could revive an existing thread but one doesn't cover all my choices. So while we're all bored out of our minds, lets talk AR pistol optics.

This pistol will be configured for home defense (eventually it will get suppressed) and a range toy. Since that will be its purpose in life, I want an optic that has fast sight acquisition, durability, decent battery life and most importantly, holds zero.

Vortex:
    I love Vortex stuff and have been running a strike eagle for quite some time that has been flawless. So I wouldn't mind sticking with them, but with a red dot or reflex.

Ive had a Vortex Spark before and I liked it "ok" but it would not hold zero. While I liked the 2 moa dot, I would have preferred a circle surrounding it for even faster acquisition. Not sure I'd go back to a spark.

I really like the UH-1 but they are a nightmare to get ahold of. Hint to anyone considering selling one

Eotech:
    The XPS2 was what I was set on getting but Im starting to have second thoughts about that one. The warranty bothers me and honestly, I hate CR123 batteries. I can never find them when I need them. I love the reticle though, even though it is a bit grainy compared to the UH-1

Holosun:
    This is the one Im really interested in. They have a perfect reticle, good battery life and seem to have an average warranty. Theres a few models I like:

HS503G - https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun...s-reticle.html
    HS512C - https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun...dot-sight.html
    HE508T-V2 - https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun...dot-sight.html
    HS503CU - https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun...dot-sight.html

Sig Romeos:
    Seem ok, probably would go back to a Spark before I bought one of these though. Feel free to change my mind.

Aimpoint:
    I get it, the battery life is ridiculous. Other than that though, I just don't see the advantage over a Vortex Spark. I don't know what my deal with Aimpoint is but I just don't get into them. And the ones I like are redonculously expensive.

So, who's got an opinion?
    Last edited by TylerV76; 03-25-2020 at 10:47 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Vortex Spitfire 1x prism. 2moa dot with circle.
    Holosun 510

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelk View Post
    Vortex Spitfire 1x prism. 2moa dot with circle.
    Liking the Spitfire. A little bigger than I was hoping to go but I like the etched reticle, green and red illumination and the ring. I'll have to read up on it a bit more. Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    I run a Sig Romeo5 on each and every AR pistol I own. Favorite feature is the shake awake.

I have a HS510 on my AR pistol, and a KSG, and am about to buy a HS512 (same thing but fully enclosed) for an AUG. The shake awake feature is a favorite of mine. Auto brightness works well, reticle is crisp, built very well, and the solar panel is a nice addition. Excellent FOV, significantly more so than on my tube style holosuns. My only complaint with them is that in direct sunlight, you can see the emitter lens reflect back in the objective. The fully enclosed 512 would solve that, hence why I’m trying that for my AUG.

I have a Romeo3 on a sub gun. While it’s made well, looks good, is ultra light.......it just feels delicate.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I run a Sig Romeo5 on each and every AR pistol I own. Favorite feature is the shake awake.
    Any specific reason you went with them over anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I have a HS510 on my AR pistol, and a KSG, and am about to buy a HS512 (same thing but fully enclosed) for an AUG. The shake awake feature is a favorite of mine. Auto brightness works well, reticle is crisp, built very well, and the solar panel is a nice addition. Excellent FOV, significantly more so than on my tube style holosuns. My only complaint with them is that in direct sunlight, you can see the emitter lens reflect back in the objective. The fully enclosed 512 would solve that, hence why I’m trying that for my AUG.

I have a Romeo3 on a sub gun. While it’s made well, looks good, is ultra light.......it just feels delicate.
    The HS512C is high on my list as it seems like a good equivalent to the UH-1 Vortex. Plus I can get it Tuesday at a decent price. Now the panel on that one isn't solar power right? Thats just for auto-brightness isn't it?

I am a Forum User
    It's an AR pistol, just use irons!!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGun View Post
    It's an AR pistol, just use irons!!
    I will, when the battery in my optic dies lol.

I have an Aimpoint mini on mine...love it. I get about 70% hits (rested) on a 6X8 inch steel at 200 Yards.

I have an older Aimpoint Comp M3 on a rifle and think I may switch it to the pistol for the larger sight window as an experiment to see if sight picture is easier to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerV76 View Post
    Any specific reason you went with them over anything else?

The HS512C is high on my list as it seems like a good equivalent to the UH-1 Vortex. Plus I can get it Tuesday at a decent price. Now the panel on that one isn't solar power right? Thats just for auto-brightness isn't it?

Not from my understanding. I haven’t looked into it’s manual, but I was under the impression that the 512 was the 510 but fully enclosed. Same electronics. I could be wrong though.

The UH-1 is an honest Holographic sight. The 510/ 512 are both reflex sights. The 510/ 512 has a forward facing emitter that reflects off of the objective lens. The UH-1/ Eotech are more complex. The reticle looks different too. Not just the shape, but it’s outright appearance. The UH-1 has the grainy saturation of a laser diode emitter, the 510 is an enlarged reflection of a shaped LED.

I like the UH-1 quite a bit too. If I could find one on sale in the same price point as a 512, I might be inclined to go that route instead.

I search prices on gun.deals, there was a seller on there that had the UH-1 for $299, but it’s been out of stock for a couple months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast