Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Not from my understanding. I haven’t looked into it’s manual, but I was under the impression that the 512 was the 510 but fully enclosed. Same electronics. I could be wrong though.

The UH-1 is an honest Holographic sight. The 510/ 512 are both reflex sights. The 510/ 512 has a forward facing emitter that reflects off of the objective lens. The UH-1/ Eotech are more complex. The reticle looks different too. Not just the shape, but it’s outright appearance. The UH-1 has the grainy saturation of a laser diode emitter, the 510 is an enlarged reflection of a shaped LED.

I like the UH-1 quite a bit too. If I could find one on sale in the same price point as a 512, I might be inclined to go that route instead.

I search prices on gun.deals, there was a seller on there that had the UH-1 for $299, but it’s been out of stock for a couple months.
    So between the Eotechs, UH-1 and 510, how would you rank the crispness of the reticle? I assume the UH-1 would be top of the list. I have astigmatism so if I ever threw a magnifier behind it I'm going to take a hit in clarity. I remember that when I had the spark and a vortex magnifier.

Edit: I see the HS512 does have solar failsafe so it will run on natural or artificial lighting. This is quickly becoming my top choice.
    Last edited by TylerV76; 03-25-2020 at 11:36 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Been running 503C's for a while on several rifles, and love them.
    Battery w50K hrs, as well solar backup, shake awake, auto off, NVC, etc.
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun...dot-sight.html

I've recently picked up a couple Vortexes, and like you, am learning I prefer the circle / dot reticle.

I haven't played with a 512 yet, but I do like everything else about it, as do all the youtube Operators.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I run a Sig Romeo5 on each and every AR pistol I own. Favorite feature is the shake awake.
    I have one, and the upside is that you can find them for a little over 100, downside is that they only have a 5 year warranty. Just my .02
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by TylerV76 View Post
    So between the Eotechs, UH-1 and 510, how would you rank the crispness of the reticle? I assume the UH-1 would be top of the list. I have astigmatism so if I ever threw a magnifier behind it I'm going to take a hit in clarity. I remember that when I had the spark and a vortex magnifier.

Edit: I see the HS512 does have solar failsafe so it will run on natural or artificial lighting. This is quickly becoming my top choice.
    Holographic sights aren’t good for astigmatism. AFAIK reflex sights are fine.

A reflex sight projects an image the equivalent of about a foot in front of you. It’s just a transparent concave mirror that reflects and magnifies a tiny reticle shaped LED emitter in the back of the optic. A holographic sight projects a ‘virtual’ image on a focal plane many yards downrange so that your target and the reticle appear to be on the same focal plane. Apparently that doesn’t jive with people that have astigmatism. The best thing to do is go to a store and look through a holosun and Eotech side by side.

With my eyes, the only difference I can see is that the reticle appears ‘grainy’ (but not fuzzy) on a holographic. But I do not have astigmatism.

MGO Member
    I got in on the new Swampfox Blade preorder
    https://swampfoxoptics.com/blade-1x25-prism/

Suppose to arrive tomorrow. If the ranges ever open up again, I'l let you know what I think.
    The features are pretty cool.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

I am a Forum User
    I would take a look at the trijicon MRO. I have one on my AR and by far my favorite red dot, not that I have a ton of experiences with a ton of dots. The 2 moa dot makes far shots a breeze.

I am a Forum User
    Prism sights, like the Vortex Spitfire, are also very good for people with astigmatism as it uses an etched reticle like a magnified rifle scope. And can also be used with dead batteries since the reticle is not projected.

I am a Forum User
    Ordered a Holosun HS512C from Primary Arms. Should be here early next week. Once I can get it to a range I'll report back. It was a tough decision between this and the Eotech but ultimately battery life, price and reviews won.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerV76 View Post
    Ordered a Holosun HS512C from Primary Arms. Should be here early next week. Once I can get it to a range I'll report back. It was a tough decision between this and the Eotech but ultimately battery life, price and reviews won.
    I’ve used both. I currently have two holosun 510’s and a 503, but no Eotechs, if that says anything.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I’ve used both. I currently have two holosun 510’s and a 503, but no Eotechs, if that says anything.
    I just couldnt get past the battery life on the Eotech. Plus the shake to wake on the Holosun is a huge bonus. If Eotech had shake to wake and better battery life, it wouldnt have been a question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast