Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

AR-10: 308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor - Questions ...

First to admit I'm no AR-10 guy. Never owned one. Lotsa AR-15's, but never an AR-10.

PSA offers their GEN3 lower receiver as either an AR-10 or a PA-65. The also offer uppers in both calibers.

I was told that the only difference between the lowers is the roll marks (one says PA-65 while the other says AR-10, just so the lower can "match" the upper in name only) and that either lower will host uppers in either caliber.

Q1. Is this accurate?

My limited search has me to believe that the correct magazine for either caliber would be along the lines of a Magpul LR/SR 7.62×51 NATO magazine or a DPMS LR metal magazine.

Q2. Is the SAME magazine used for either caliber, or are they different?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    First to admit I'm no AR-10 guy. Never owned one. Lotsa AR-15's, but never an AR-10.

PSA offers their GEN3 lower receiver as either an AR-10 or a PA-65. The also offer uppers in both calibers.

I was told that the only difference between the lowers is the roll marks (one says PA-65 while the other says AR-10, just so the lower can "match" the upper in name only) and that either lower will host uppers in either caliber.

Q1. Is this accurate?

My limited search has me to believe that the correct magazine for either caliber would be along the lines of a Magpul LR/SR 7.62×51 NATO magazine or a DPMS LR metal magazine.

TIA.

Q1: Not 100% sure on this one but given that a typical AR-10 lower will work with either caliber, my guess would be that as long as the pattern for the 2 lowers is identical, it shouldn't matter....
    Q2: Yes, same mags (at least with Magpul, only ones I've ever used with mine).

Which route are you thinking of going down? The venerable .308 or the new cool kid on the block 6.5?
    Last edited by castrotikon; 03-25-2020 at 08:55 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    Q1: Not 100% sure on this one but given that a typical AR-10 lower will work with either caliber, my guess would be that as long as the pattern for the 2 lowers is identical, it shouldn't matter....
    Q2: Yes, same mags (at least with Magpul, only owns I've ever used with mine).
    Thanks.

Which route are you thinking of going down? The venerable .308 or the new cool kid on the block 6.5?
    Have a customer ask for pricing on about 7 or 8 GEN3 AR-10 and PA-65 products (3 lowers, 4-5 uppers). I gave him all the prices and he chooses a 6.5 Creedmoor complete lower and upper (separate). Minutes after I place the order, he emails and wants to change the upper, so I did exactly as he wanted. He switched to a .308 upper. Now he has a PA-65 marked lower and a .308 upper. I told him he'd be fine (which he is). But he had purchased a couple of magazines himself. Got his items home, then he emailed me to say the magazines wouldn't fit. Turns out he didn't buy LR/SR magazines, but I wanted to make sure he's not buying more magazines if there's an issue with upper/lower combo.

Me? I may likely add to my stable down the road, most likely in the .308 flavor.

Thanks.

Have a customer ask for pricing on about 7 or 8 GEN3 AR-10 and PA-65 products (3 lowers, 4-5 uppers). I gave him all the prices and he chooses a 6.5 Creedmoor complete lower and upper (separate). Minutes after I place the order, he emails and wants to change the upper, so I did exactly as he wanted. He switched to a .308 upper. Now he has a PA-65 marked lower and a .308 upper. I told him he'd be fine (which he is). But he had purchased a couple of magazines himself. Got his items home, then he emailed me to say the magazines wouldn't fit. Turns out he didn't buy LR/SR magazines, but I wanted to make sure he's not buying more magazines if there's an issue with upper/lower combo.

Me? I may likely add to my stable down the road, most likely in the .308 flavor.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone argue a 6.5 Creedmoor isn't a superior round but I ended up going with the .308 just because I figured ammo would be easier to find/cheaper and less wear on the barrel.

I also don't see myself ever using it at the sort of distances 6.5 really shines at.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    ... but I ended up going with the .308 just because I figured ammo would be easier to find/cheaper and less wear on the barrel.
    ^^ This is my thought.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar

Q1. Is this accurate?

TIA.
    Yes to both your questions. The only difference between the two is the barrel.

I built my 6.5 Creedmoor on the MGO AR-10 Lower from the lady group but Nmadole did. Using Magpul 10-round magazines (no need for 20s on a precision rifle).

.308 is more really available generally but I had no problem buying 200 round of Hornady 140gr. ELD Match at Cabela's Monday and I still see it available at reasonable prices online.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    IIRC, the PSA 308AR’s are mostly DPMS based, but are not completely compatible. Try this link to see. http://out-of-battery.com/palmetto-s...compatability/

Also agree on the 308 vs Creedmoor. 308 ammo and components are more plentiful. Plus, the Creedmoor doesn’t really have a big enough edge over 308 (ballistics wise), until after something like 500-600 yds. I also prefer the bigger diameter for hunting. If I was to run a 6.5 bullet in a 308AR, using a standard 308 bolt, I would get a barrel made in 6.5-284 or 6.5 SLR. Actually make it worth it.

Banned
    Buy both just have one lower and two different uppers.

I am a Forum User
    I've become very fond of my PSA version of an AR-10.( PA-10 in 308 ) , posted a review of it here some time ago.
    I prefer DH or ASC brand mags, over the Magpul mag in my use.

I recall reading there are 2 basic AR-10 formats, the Armalite & the DPMS ..
    & most follow the DPMS format..as far a which magazines you must use.
    Whichever format chosen, the manufacture should provide information on which magazine it requires.

I also recall that all AR 10 platforms do not use a standardized format, ( i.e. mil spec parts for an AR-15)
    so, parts between brands may not interchange. If building a rifle, parts selection should include
    verification of parts compatibility by the makers, as not all parts will work with other brand parts.

Knowing this, I selected a PSA upper & lower. Everything fit properly.
    Later swapped out FCG, added scope, mount, brass catcher, & bipod