Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Replacing the barrel on a S&W pre Model 10...

Hi guys,
    Everything I've been reading online is this is damn nigh impossible without an absolutely spotless replacement barrel and lots of specialized tools - and a lot of patience. But my brother inherited one with a bulged barrel and we want to replace it. Lots of barrels and parts are available on eBay. Can someone with experience discuss how difficult this is please?

Secondly, how much would it cost to have a smith do the work? Any idea? This gun has lots of sentimental value, but we're not rolling in cash. Our grandfather shot this gun competitively with his Air National Guard shooting team at Camp Perry for decades.

And finally, if it is impossible for us and too expensive to have professionally done, is there a safe way to test if a revolver with a bulged barrel will still function?

Thank you!
    Coop

I am a Forum User
    I am not certain what a gun smith would charge, but it would definitely be a job for one. It can be done at home, but not without a lot of risks. That being said, if you want to do it, I have most everything you need. I advise against it, do not do it... but if you want to, I can loan you most of the item needed.

Marketplace Moderator
    Buy a suitable barrel and let the gunsmith Doug Jones, 586-262-2760, do the work. He is in Rochester Hills! He is the most reasonably priced gunsmith out there. I always think he should charge me more? Great quality work. Not a job for a novice gunsmith. Good Safe Shooting, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    ..." gunsmith Doug Jones, 586-262-2760, do the work. He is in Rochester Hills! He is the most reasonably priced gunsmith out there.
    I always think he should charge me more (!) Great quality work. "..

Exactly the same advice I'd give..& couldn't have said it better.

I have seen work where Doug had replaced barrels on a variety of firearms, revolvers included, so I know he's up to the task.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks guys, I'll talk to my brother and see what he wants to do. He's more gung ho than me about giving it a try but I certainly don't want to damage the gun. Thanks for the contact info for Doug.
    Coop

MGO Member
    Can you post pics of the bulged barrel? Location and how severe?

Your grandfather may have put a lot of rounds through a minimally bulged barrel.

The accuracy may surprise you.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I am a Forum User
    Okay, here's a Google Site that I made for posting pictures to this forum. I can't figure out how to do it any other way. Thanks for looking at the pics. If folks think we could plink safely with this gun, that would be great.

https://sites.google.com/view/feedrampissue/home

MGO Member
    Pics of outside, look minimal at most. Can you see any difference in the rifling inside the barrel? Do you feel any difference when pushing a tight patch through the bore? If not, and were it mine, I would continue shooting it with the loads it was designed for. Lead bullets at normal velocities, no jacketed +P SD loads at all.
    Find some lead wadcutter target loads and enjoy.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.