Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Value to keeping firearms original boxes / containers?

I was wondering what the communities thoughts are on keeping the original cardboard boxes & plastic handgun cases that the firearms originally come in? (I am currently using them to compile an inventory complete with accurate model numbers, and descriptions found on SN tag.) I have amassed quite a pile of both cardboard and plastic cases (along with gun locks, supplied cleaning kits, etc...) that like most people, I do not use to transport the firearms in, and are just taking up valuable space in my storage areas. I told myself that they will come in handy when I move, and need to transport my collection safely, but last time I moved it was easier and quicker to just wrap stuff in blankets and towels. (So I ended up moving the empty boxes at another time.) Then I figured that if I sold something, it would be worth more with all of the original packaging and accessories, but the few times that I have sold or traded, I got what I was asking for, and the person never even questioned about the box. Other than a couple of "commemorative" items, does it really add anything to the value?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    I keep original boxes for handguns. Definitely enhances resale value, especially for higher-end pistols.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

In Memoriam Forum User
    I keep all of mine along with the paperwork, orange safety flags, etc. Some people that use their gun as a "tool" usually don't care. But collectors, traders, etc definitely want them. There's always room to store them, attic, basement, closets, garage etc. You could build suspended platforms/shelves in your garage or part of your basement.

I am a Forum User
    I might be in the minority, but I don't see any added worth to buying a weapon that still has original packaging. If someone was selling something that was $500 and they said, but with original packaging it is $550....I'd only bring $500 to buy it.

I don't buy any guns with the idea that I would ever sell them though. Maybe if I did I would think about it differently.

Depends on the firearm, collectibles always brings top dollar with the original box.

always,

depending on the gun it can definitely matter. whether its selling privately or to an FFL

MGO Member
    I have paper work/boxes from the 1960,s on some guns.

I am a Forum User
    having seen what some Browning and S&W boxes have sold for on eBay, only a fool would toss original boxes anymore

I am a Forum User
    I keep all the boxes, paperwork, and even any parts that i replace like grips and such. Always had room to store so has been no problem.

I am a Forum User
    I used to keep them, but not anymore. They take up too much room. If you mount an optic on a rifle, it won't fit in the box anyhow. I sorta wish that I still had the one for my M41, but I'm not planning on selling it anyway, so the point is moot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast