Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

shot gun home protection

I have a Stevens Westpoint model 167 pump, 12 gauge, 3" chamber, old gun friend gave me years ago. The other day I got an email from a large ammo dealer offering home protection 12 gauge shells that are shorter than 2 3/4 so they wont penetrate a wall and you can load more them into shot gun.

so i know nothing about it. never heard of the home defense rounds?

any help would be appreciated.
    txs.

Quote Originally Posted by opr1945 View Post
    I have a Stevens Westpoint model 167 pump, 12 gauge, 3" chamber, old gun friend gave me years ago. The other day I got an email from a large ammo dealer offering home protection 12 gauge shells that are shorter than 2 3/4 so they wont penetrate a wall and you can load more them into shot gun.

so i know nothing about it. never heard of the home defense rounds?

any help would be appreciated.
    txs.
    Sounds like those Aguila mini-shells which I think are more a gimmick than anything else. Stick with buckshot or 3in #2 or larger birdshot. I have T shot leftover from goose hunting and S&B range buckshot that stinks of Sulfur so bad when I shoot it it feels like I have pink eye as well as other miscellaneous stuff. If it comes to it I'm sure I'll make someone's day much worse.

If it is the Aguilla mini shells or Federal Shorty they most likely won't feed reliably. I have a Mossberg shockwave and the only way the mini shells feed is by adding an OpSol Mini clip. It works well. I would stick with 2 3/4" buckshot for home defense.

MGO Member
    for home defence cheap #8 will do nicely

Quote Originally Posted by mr44 View Post
    for home defence cheap #8 will do nicely
    I mean I wouldn't stand in front of it, really anything out of a 12ga will mess someone up but such small pellets lose energy fast. Being as most times just having a gun is enough to end a fight, and that even if you shoot most stoppages are psychological and not physiological 99.99% you'll be fine with field loads. I'd still suggest stepping it up to waterfowl loads to be sure though. But if all you can afford is the $6 a box Federal or Remington #7.5 stuff better to stock up on that than only get a couple boxes of "better" stuff maybe.

[QUOTE=mr44;3197987]for home defence cheap #8 will do nicely[/QUOTE

Birdshot is for birds. It has been proven time and time again that it is not adequate for defense. It meets no penetration tests. Home defense rounds need to be buck, or slugs if overpenetration isn't a concern.

Dice

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    IMO bird shot is not an answer to two-legged predators.

Besides, minishells have a reputation of not functioning (feeding) well in many shotguns. There's an adapter for mini-shells that works in Mossberg 500 and 590 shotguns. I have had no problems with them feeding in my 590 Shockwave with the adapter. Aguila makes buckshot and slug rounds. There are other brands that make buckshot mini-shells as well. But it is true that they have lower velocities (and therefore less energy, than typical 2 3/4 shells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13LaTffG1K0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIiMmWv9h7Q
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by esq_stu View Post
    IMO bird shot is not an answer to two-legged predators.
    How many legs do birds have?
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

00 or 000. The end.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pond Scum View Post
    If it is the Aguilla mini shells or Federal Shorty they most likely won't feed reliably. I have a Mossberg shockwave and the only way the mini shells feed is by adding an OpSol Mini clip. It works well. I would stick with 2 3/4" buckshot for home defense.
    This. I have the Opsol as well, neat little rubber gadget. The only real benefit is that you get increased capacity. Works well, but I've found that you really have to shuck your shotty hard/fast in order for it to function correctly, I'd stick with high brass, #4 shot or bigger (I use 00 buck, same load as most police departments). I also suggest mounting a light for obvious reasons.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast