Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: SCOPE &MOUNT

I am a Forum User

SCOPE &MOUNT

Trying to mount an Osprey cantilever mount with a trijicon scope 3x9 on a ruger AR
    and went to bore site it cross hairs were so high I ran out of adjustment going up.
    would I have to shim the scope or would I be better of trying 2 pc. rings .
    not sure as this is first time trying to mount scope .
    any suggestions would be greatly appreceatted
    Last edited by GUNNUT55; 04-04-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: wrote loww instead of high

I am a Forum User
    Hello there GunNuts:

Need a little more information. When you were bore sighting it, were you using a collimator? if yes, do you have the correct arbor?

If you were bore sighting by taking the upper off and resting it in bags and looking down through the barrel and then adjusting the scope to the same point?

Generally, what I do if I have a rifle that I can look down the bore, I set the rifle up on sandbags and point it at the target 25 or 50 yards down range, get the bull centered in the bore as you look down through it. Then I adjust the scope to the same point and you should be on the paper or close to it.

If you are not able to look down the bore (pretty sure you can with all AR's but not sure about all of them), I would mount the scope and center the scope adjustments. To center the adjustments, screw the windage all the way clockwise and then count the turns while turning it counter clockwise and then clockwise half of that number. Same with the elevation turret.

Then shoot a couple rounds at 10 yards at paper, make any adjustments and work your way back to 25 yards, 50 yards, and then 100.

Regards,
    Crankster

MGO Member
    Not to be funny, but do you have the cantilever portion of the mount toward the front of the gun? Most of these have a 20 moa angle built in. Just asking because I have seen some online photos of these mounted in reverse.

I am a Forum User
    Because of the extreme difference between the bore and crosshairs on an AR, trying to boresight them with a laser at close range is a chore. If you mounted it correctly, just take it to the 50-100yd line and start adjusting.

I am a Forum User
    Have not been to range yet
    i have a sightmark chamber bore laser i just check it in the house
    did not know about the angle on the mount.
    the mount is pretty much to the rear of th e reciever

I am a Forum User
    I want to thank you all for your help .

probably wait till i can go north into woods to site in

I am a Forum User
    The cantilever part should face forward.

Could just be a crappy mount too.

I’d go with Crankiest method of bore sighting after double checking your mount for proper installation.
    A old card board box With a notch cut on opposite ends works well to rest the upper in while you work the scopes adjustments. I prefer to set up where I can pick a distinct object at longer range, say 75 yds or so. This method has worked extremely well for me not only with AR rifles but any rifle I can see down the bore of like bolts or single shots.
    Be sure too you are turning the adjustment screw the right way when you move them. If you want the bullet to impact higher turn the adjustment up, if lower then adjust down. A quick why to recall which way to go with all USA made and most foreign scopes is to think of the adjustment as a screw(which it is) and turn it in the direction you want to bullet to go. Screw it in and the bullet will go either down if the vertical adjustment is used or left if the horizontal. Screw it out and the opposite, the bullet will impact up or to the right. The reason I mention these ideas is due to how often i see people turning in the adjustment in the opposite direction they should be, often running out of adjustment and farther from where they want then when they started. I’m not saying this is why you are maxing your scopes adjustment but it is a possibility I want to bring up.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

ARs are easy, remove bolt carrier, set the upper on a sturdy surface(shooting bag) and eye ball it at a decent distance(50-75yrds) The neighbors PVC furnace intake has been scoped so many times it ain't funny Easy way to mechanically zero your scope is to set it on a mirror, objective down, and adjust the cross hairs until they match. You will see a set of ghost cross hairs. Do this under a good light(dining room table)
    Last edited by JDG; 04-05-2020 at 06:45 AM.
    Active airport shooter