Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Sun your gun for its health... (a Holosun story)

So, funny thing I learned today...

I have a couple Holosun 510’s. One is on a KSG I use just for HD. While I shoot it on a regular basis, it hasn’t been outside in over a year (indoor range every other month). I noticed the reticle was blinking, which typically indicates a low battery. I thought this was odd, since it’s supposed to have a 20,000 hour battery life, and I haven’t even owned it for half that time. I changed the battery and it was still doing it. Now I’m upset...this optic is a year old, and not inexpensive. I do some google-** and find out the solar cell’d holosuns have a super capacitor that require sunlight every so often. The blinking reticle was an indication that the capacitor, not the battery was dead. The capacitor can sustain the optic for many hours even with the battery removed. Sure enough, with the battery removed indoors, the optic was dead (in sunlight it still functioned fine). So I let my holosun bask in the sun for a few hours, and now the issue is resolved.

Moral of the story.....in these times of being cooped up in your house....remember that your guns need sun to survive too!

Good to know, incase I get one some day.
    Active airport shooter

The other one I have is on an AR and is outside often. No issues. I’m pretty sure the one on my KSG has honestly never seen the light of day....ever. From the factory, to the store, to my home, to the indoor range, and back again.

I left it in indirect sun for an hour, and it only blinked on max brightness. Another couple hours in the sun and the issue was entirely gone. I’m surprised the fresh battery didn’t recharge the capacitor....unless there’s a diode in between the battery and solar circuits to isolate themselves from one another.

I do not have one but have been looking at holosun hearing more good about them lately, they are on my list. Overall how do you like it. And does it say in the directions how often this is needed.

Lastly I assume just like a solar calulator it just has to be light, right? Not actual sun light, I had never heard of that on a solar device, so just having it out of the gun safe leaning against the wall in a lit room, that should charge it, right ?

I am a Forum User
    I have a 508t on a Glock 19, it did the same thing
    The dot is clearer and more defined than a rmr for me

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I do not have one but have been looking at holosun hearing more good about them lately, they are on my list. Overall how do you like it. And does it say in the directions how often this is needed.

Lastly I assume just like a solar calulator it just has to be light, right? Not actual sun light, I had never heard of that on a solar device, so just having it out of the gun safe leaning against the wall in a lit room, that should charge it, right ?

It’s not in the instructions. I found that info on a Canadian gun forum. It sounded like the guy dissected it and explored its engineering and this is a comment he made about it. I’m not an expert on solar cells, but I think you’re right. I wasn’t sure, and laying it in the sun was the easiest thing to do.

I like them quite a bit. I have two 510’s, and a 503. I’m about to get a 512 as well. Reticle is crisp, glass is clear, the housing is a solid block of aluminum with a titanium hood, and I love the auto-brightness and shake-awake. The reticle is almost exactly like an Eotech, but without the grainy color like the laser-diode generated reticle in the Eotech has. It’s a solid crisp reticle with no bloom, even on max. The only thing I don’t like about it, is that in direct sunlight you can see the outline of the protective lens that covers the emitter. That’s not a Holosun thing though, that’s a reflex thing. My Trijicon did this too. The 512 solves that by having a full length hood (the 512 is just a fully enclosed 510).

If it means anything, I’ve owned EoTechs, Trijicon reflex, and a host of others. All I have left are Holosuns and a single Romeo3.