Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: Kel tec P17

MGO Member

Kel tec P17

Sportsman's Warehouse has these for $169.99 online for delivery to their stores. (when in stock, get on their notification list). I ordered one the last week of February and picked it up at the Troy store on March 3. With tax it was $180 out the door.

It is about the size of a Ruger SR22. Just fractionally longer, higher and with a wider grip to accommodate the 16 round mags. At 10.9 oz, it is also half a pound lighter than the SR22.

The thing that it has over the SR22 besides being lighter and $100+ cheaper, is that it comes with 3 16 round mags (SR22 has 10 rounds) is single action with an internal hammer (SR22 is double action), has fiber optic front sight, ambidextrous thumb safeties and mag release. The biggest thing is that it has a threaded barrel, thread protector, adapter and barrel wrench. The trigger on it is very light, i.e., 2.5-3 lbs light!

I function tested it with 15 kinds of ammo, CCI Blazer, CCI standard velocity and Armscore HV, a couple of Federal loads, some Winchester, PMC etc, etc. All worked without a glitch. I now have over 1,000 rounds through it with just a couple dud rounds.

Overall I am very impressed. I already like it more than my SR22 and I really liked my SR22s. The wider grip is more comfortable, the trigger is much, much better as are the sights. Having 3 16 rounds mags is a big bonus. And the price is under $200!!!

You would have to spend over $400 to be comparable with a SR22 (mags, threaded barrel etc) or over $300 for a caparble Taurus TX22 or God knows what you'd spend for a Glock 44 for extra mags and a threaded barrel!

It think the P17 is going to turn out to be an excellent trail, plinker and kit gun. it's a real sleeper.

Photo of the unique half slide, muzzle adapter and wrench. The barrel is fixed in the frame and the thread protector holds the recoil spring in place.

After putting over 1K rounds through it I ordered another one and sold my last Ruger SR22 (I had two). I picked up the second P17 on April 3. I've now put over 300 rounds through the second one and like them even more. Both of them are reliable and accurate right out of the box.

I bought them for fun but now that I have them I plan on using them to train new shooters. (I'm a CPL instructor)
    Last edited by Garymac; 04-13-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    Congrats sounds like you got a good deal!

I am a Forum User
    I am a little late to the party, but just received mine about 3 weeks ago. So far only about 400 rounds thru it with NO malfunctions. Accuracy is not as good as I expected, but should improve as I get more accustomed to such a light pistol. There is very little difference in the POI with or without a suppressor.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
    I am a little late to the party, but just received mine about 3 weeks ago. So far only about 400 rounds thru it with NO malfunctions. Accuracy is not as good as I expected, but should improve as I get more accustomed to such a light pistol. There is very little difference in the POI with or without a suppressor.

Recently shot mine with my son's suppressor. It's a lot of fun. Not the most accurate 22 pistols I have but good enough for a plinker. Put another 500 rounds through it without a malfunction.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.