Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Shotgun Barrel Shortening

I have a somewhat cheap 870 clone that I decided to take a few inches off. It ended up being around 19” due to ribbing on the top. I’m wondering if anyone can help with tips or lend a hand or bench grinder in squaring off the barrel. I filed and filed and no matter what I do I can’t get it exactly flat. It’s pretty good now but it’s kind of driving me crazy haha.

I am a Forum User
    I use a tube cutter , and just run it around the barrel til it cuts it off with a rib the rib supports determine the length but cut the rib then use the tube cutter

I use a lathe, but a few ideas to help...

1) Drill a hole in a block of wood/aluminum... same diameter as the barrel, then split the block lengthwise with a table saw or band saw. (mark the block so the two pieces can be oriented correctly for clamping later) Use a router or Dremel to cut a relief channel for the rib.
    Clamp the block around the barrel, use the block as a guide to create a square end. You can use a belt/disc sander with a guide to keep it square, or just file/sand by hand.

2) Drop it off at my house. I'll mount it in the lathe (or padded vice) square it up, debur the barrel, cold blue the raw metal, then drop it off when done. If you are happy with the result, you owe me one cold Diet Pepsi some time in the future.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    Unfortunately I’m already beyond the point of cutting haha. It’s cut and the length is good, including the top rib. The issue is just with getting the end flat and squared. I almost think about two seconds on the side of a bench grinder would sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    Unfortunately I’m already beyond the point of cutting haha. It’s cut and the length is good, including the top rib. The issue is just with getting the end flat and squared. I almost think about two seconds on the side of a bench grinder would sort it out.
    Disc sander with a guide... grinder will leave a coarse and curved surface. It'll look like hell.

You aren't really looking to remove material, just square up and remove imperfections.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    RifleGuy, I sent you a PM.

MGO Member
    How about just using a hand file to square it up?

If rib is still on top . . . . did you cut leaving a section of rib on the end ?
    a mitre saw box and 2 very fine hack saw blades, fine files to clean ends, debur, refinish.

easier with no rib . . . . tube / pipe cutter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I use a lathe, but a few ideas to help...

1) Drill a hole in a block of wood/aluminum... same diameter as the barrel, then split the block lengthwise with a table saw or band saw. (mark the block so the two pieces can be oriented correctly for clamping later) Use a router or Dremel to cut a relief channel for the rib.
    Clamp the block around the barrel, use the block as a guide to create a square end. You can use a belt/disc sander with a guide to keep it square, or just file/sand by hand.

2) Drop it off at my house. I'll mount it in the lathe (or padded vice) square it up, debur the barrel, cold blue the raw metal, then drop it off when done. If you are happy with the result, you owe me one cold Diet Pepsi some time in the future.
    Very generous offer!

MGO Member
    A torch will work but my Cluasing is more fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast