Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    But I stayed at a motel 6

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapensmed View Post
    You have to register for possession, does not matter how you got it. Don't get legal advice on a firearms board.
    Ironic how the second sentence is confirmed based solely on the content of the first.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapensmed View Post
    But I stayed at a motel 6
    You should have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

So a while back on here when I built my first AR pistol, I was told to buy the lower as any/other when you bought it. Then do an RI-60 after you built the pistol. Now this isn't the case? I'm only asking because tonight I helped a neighbor build a 10.5" PSA pistol. I even printed out 2 copies of RI-60 for him to fill out. And now it isn't needed? This is because of the No Transaction has occurred I read in this thread? I'm just trying to understand the change, before I call him and tell him to forget the RI-60.
    Thanks for any clarification on this.
    - Joe

Your interpretation of the thread is correct. No transaction took place. It was assembled, not bought or sold.
    No transaction means no RI060.

Dice

MGO Member Forum User
    According to MSP once the receiver is assembled into a firearm you still need to fill out paperwork. If you have a CPL just fill out and RI-60. If you do not you will need to obtain a purchase permit. Whether you think this is right or not or want to argue the legalities of purchase versus posses is one thing. I am a newer dealer and this is the guidance that Michigan State Police has given me within the last two weeks. Hope that helps and didn’t confuse things more.

Dustin

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DBaldwin View Post
    According to MSP once the receiver is assembled into a firearm you still need to fill out paperwork. If you have a CPL just fill out and RI-60. If you do not you will need to obtain a purchase permit. Whether you think this is right or not or want to argue the legalities of purchase versus posses is one thing. I am a newer dealer and this is the guidance that Michigan State Police has given me within the last two weeks. Hope that helps and didn’t confuse things more.

Dustin
    The MSP (whomever you are referring to) is wrong, as are most police agencies when it comes to many firearms law questions.

NEVER and I repeat NEVER ask a LE agency about firearms - I say this as a former LEO and a current FFL.

NO, you do NOT have to complete an RI-60 for assembling a pistol out of an AR lower that has already been transferred to you. The RI-60 is a PISTOL SALES RECORD, not a pistol birth certificate. It documents a SALES TRANSACTION between a BUYER and a SELLER, and you can NOT be both the BUYER and the SELLER. Same with the RI-10 -- that is a LICENSE TO PURCHASE, not a pistol birth certificate.

Finally, I would respectfully suggest that, as a brand new user here and as a "new dealer" (your words), you refrain from giving advice until you're 100% certain of what you're saying. Posting bad or incorrect advice is not advised, as other (new users) might actually follow that advice and find themselves in a heap of trouble.
    Last edited by Scoop; 05-11-2020 at 07:42 PM.

This sounds good. He bought the lower as an Any/Other, so it is still a legal pistol, without having to send it a RI-60? No transaction has occurred. I can maybe explain it to him that way. Thank you!

PS: This is totally different that what I was told here 1-2 years before. I was told after the build I had to do an RI-60. It is an example of not taking internet forum posts as lawful advice.
    - Joe

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joelansing View Post
    This sounds good. He bought the lower as an Any/Other
    Unless a lower is part of a COMPLETE rifle or a COMPLETE pistol, it will be transferred by the FFL as "Other firearm". What the buyer/transferee chooses to build with it is up to him/her.

so it is still a legal pistol
    It is neither a pistol nor a rifle UNTIL it is built into a COMPLETE firearm. Until then, it's just an "Other firearm" (parts).

without having to send it a RI-60? No transaction has occurred. I can maybe explain it to him that way. Thank you!
    As outlined above, the RI-60 is a sales transaction record, not a birth certificate. A lower built into a pistol does not require an RI-60 be submitted.

PS: This is totally different that what I was told here 1-2 years before. I was told after the build I had to do an RI-60. It is an example of not taking internet forum posts as lawful advice.
    All depends upon who told you what.

Some people may/will STILL come along (here) and claim that they would rather be "safe" and fill out the form and either (a) put themselves as both the buyer and the seller or (b) put "Built from parts" as the seller. There is nothing in the law to support this.

I consider filling out and submitting an RI-60 for a built AR pistol akin to pissing your pants while wearing a dark suit: You get a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

MGO Member Forum User
    My apologies for passing on what Michigan State Police records department told me. If they are incorrect then someone’s best bet is to contact an attorney. If you know the MCL that specifically states what you’re saying please pass that along. I would like to look it up myself. As of now I haven’t been able to find anything definitive. Respectfully I wouldn’t take anyone’s legal advice on here and run with it. That is what will get people in a heap of trouble.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast