Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    Unfortunately, their idea of "fixing" gray areas, is usually to ban them. However, you can just get another state's permit along with your MI cpl, and you would be exempt from registration. Problem solved.

Oh boy! Now your just trying to make his head spin
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    Unfortunately, their idea of "fixing" gray areas, is usually to ban them. However, you can just get another state's permit along with your MI cpl, and you would be exempt from registration. Problem solved.
    You don't need it "along WITH your MI CPL" to be exempt from registration. You ONLY need the out of state CPL for that.

You DO need a MI CPL if you want to carry concealed here in MI, though, as the out of state CPL doesn't afford you that.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    ***So, is a SARL (stripped AR lower) a firearm? Yes if it has pocket cut for the FCG, NO if its an 80% without the pocket cut
    If no, go to the next question.

My understanding of this situation for someone without any CPL or exemptions listed in MLC 28.422
    if you had to buy a striped lower with serial #s from an FFL with a background check you should file the RI 10 within 10 days of assembling it into a pistol.
    If you have the out of state CPL you are exempt from registering any pistol you assemble or manufacture .

IM new to this too thats why im here, trying to figure out ghost pistol legality before i build one

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; transfer of ownership to heir or devisee; nonresident; active duty status; forging application as felony; implementation during business hours.
    Sec. 2. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

(2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within 30 days after his or her arrival in this state.

(3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to qualified applicants unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States. An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exista) The person is not subject to an order or disposition for which he or she has received notice and an opportunity for a hearing, and which was entered into the law enforcement information network under any of the followingi) Section 464a of the mental health code, 1974 PA 258, MCL 330.1464a.(ii) Section 5107 of the estates and protected individuals code, 1998 PA 386, MCL 700.5107, or section 444a of former 1978 PA 642.(iii) Section 2950 of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.2950.(iv) Section 2950a of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.2950a.(v) Section 14 of 1846 RS 84, MCL 552.14.(vi) Section 6b of chapter V of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 765.6b, if the order has a condition imposed under section 6b(3) of chapter V of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 765.6b.(vii) Section 16b of chapter IX of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 769.16b.(b) The person is 18 years of age or older or, if the seller is licensed under 18 USC 923, is 21 years of age or older.(c) The person is a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United States and is a legal resident of this state. For the purposes of this section, a person is considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following applyi) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.(iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person’s home of record is in this state.(iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person’s home of record is in another state.(d) A felony charge or a criminal charge listed in section 5b against the person is not pending at the time of application.(e) The person is not prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm under section 224f of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.224f.(f) The person has not been adjudged insane in this state or elsewhere unless he or she has been adjudged restored to sanity by court order.(g) The person is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness.(h) The person has not been adjudged legally incapacitated in this state or elsewhere. This subdivision does not apply to a person who has had his or her legal capacity restored by order of the court.

(4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in triplicate
    FIREARMS LAWS OF MICHIGANPage 8upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Three copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 30 days after the date it is issued.

(5) If an individual purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, the seller shall fill out the license forms describing the pistol, together with the date of sale or acquisition, and sign his or her name in ink indicating that the pistol was sold to or otherwise acquired by the purchaser. The purchaser shall also sign his or her name in ink indicating the purchase or other acquisition of the pistol from the seller. The seller may retain a copy of the license as a record of the transaction. The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the license. The purchaser shall return 1 copy of the license to the licensing authority within 10 days after the date the pistol is purchased or acquired. The return of the copy to the licensing authority may be made in person or may be made by first-class mail or certified mail sent within the 10-day period to the proper address of the licensing authority. A purchaser who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $250.00. If a purchaser is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this subsection, the court shall notify the department of state police of that determination.

(6) Within 10 days after receiving the license copy returned under subsection (5), the licensing authority shall electronically enter the information into the pistol entry database as required by the department of state police if it has the ability to electronically enter that information. If the licensing authority does not have that ability, the licensing authority shall provide that information to the department of state police in a manner otherwise required by the department of state police. Any licensing authority that provided pistol descriptions to the department of state police under former section 9 of this act shall continue to provide pistol descriptions to the department of state police under this subsection. Within 48 hours after entering or otherwise providing the information on the license copy returned under subsection (5) to the department of state police, the licensing authority shall forward the copy of the license to the department of state police. The purchaser has the right to obtain a copy of the information placed in the pistol entry database under this subsection to verify the accuracy of that information. The licensing authority may charge a fee not to exceed $1.00 for the cost of providing the copy. The licensee may carry, use, possess, and transport the pistol for 30 days beginning on the date of purchase or acquisition only while he or she is in possession of his or her copy of the license. However, the person is not required to have the license in his or her possession while carrying, using, possessing, or transporting the pistol after this period

Sorry to resurrect an older thread. I got caught up in the AR pistol RI-060 to assemble BS a few years ago. Can/should I undo that? Is that possible?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilf View Post
    My understanding of this situation for someone without any CPL or exemptions listed in MLC 28.422
    if you had to buy a striped lower with serial #s from an FFL with a background check you should file the RI 10 within 10 days of assembling it into a pistol.
    If you have the out of state CPL you are exempt from registering any pistol you assemble or manufacture .

IM new to this too thats why im here, trying to figure out ghost pistol legality before i build one
    Not sure why this has to be beaten to death over and over and over.

Stripped lowers have NOTHING to do with CPLs (or vice versa) because stripped lowers aren't PISTOLS.

When you ASSEMBLE something you already own (a stripped AR lower receiver), you don't fill out JACK DIDDLY SQUAT. It's not a birth certificate - it's a transaction record (ownership changing hands), and you can't buy something from yourself.

99% of the time, RI-010s are used by people who do NOT have a CPL who want to PURCHASE a HANDGUN from a PRIVATE PARTY.

Finally ... if you have an out of state CPL, you are exempt from registering ALL handguns that would otherwise require "registration" (e.g., purchasing from private party, purchasing from FFL). FYI: You aren't required to "register" something you assemble (e.g., from parts you already own, such as an AR15 pistol from a stripped lower + parts) or something you manufacture (you carve a handgun out of an ingot of aluminum).

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinguns View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an older thread. I got caught up in the AR pistol RI-060 to assemble BS a few years ago. Can/should I undo that? Is that possible?
    If you already RI60’d it, that is done and subsequent resale later will need to be by RI60 also.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    If you already RI60’d it, that is done and subsequent resale later will need to be by RI60 also.
    Only if it's sold as a complete pistol.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Only if it's sold as a complete pistol.
    I am thinking that means that if you build a pistol yourself and decide that you don't need it: in order to save the trouble of RI-60
    you should disassemble and sell it as parts.

Am I stating that correctly?

Thanks for the info. I've read the MCLs 18 times in the past and I still need to come back to it for reference.

Rick
    Last edited by Brikbrat; 11-28-2020 at 01:47 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234