Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recently declassified Australian trials for AUG vs m16

The Cove’s Five Part Comparative Review: The ADF’s EF88 VS. M4 Rifles

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...m4-comparison/

James the tfb guy vid with nice explanation, and show notes where he made cleaned up pdf.

Kinda interesting. I always liked AUG, never had the opportunity to shoot one. Not a m16/m4/ar15 bash thread. Still a fan.

Just kinda want to dip my toes in AUG pool.

Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 04-29-2020 at 02:18 PM.

This is pretty interesting, and the carbon monoxide thing is just weird.

Owning both, I can say I like the AUG better in many ways....except for the astronomical cost of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    This is pretty interesting, and the carbon monoxide thing is just weird.

Owning both, I can say I like the AUG better in many ways....except for the astronomical cost of everything.
    whats so expensive after you buy in ? Is there good aftermarket support ?

Aftermarket is getting better but it is limited considering everyone and their grandma makes AR accessories and parts. Some imported stuff by Corvus Defensio is very good and increases the capability and adaptability of the platform tremendously. Domestically it’s 2020 precision and Manticore to name a few. One weak link is the trigger but there are a few modifications available. The Neu Trigger is a cheap fix that smoothens and lightens the pull. 2020 precision has a trigger dear modification that reduces the pull distance to about 1/4 of the original pull. I use this in conjunction with another part and my trigger pulls are very similar to the straight velocity single stage triggers in my AR’s. I was able to adjust the trigger linkage enough that there is zero take up and a tactile and audible reset with no over travel. Geiselle was supposed to make a 2 stage and a trigger pack that took AR triggers was produced for a short time. The issue is drop safety requirements with the hybrid trigger.

All the points I the study are pretty spot on. The bullpups are really easy to use in tight spaces but better than that the balance let you shoot strong hand quite well while having a free hand. Holding on target is exceptionally easy and very stable. Magpul AUG mags are excellent as well. They lockup really solidly in the stock but they don’t drop free like the standard magazines. For prone shooting the magpuls are like a monopod just at the rear. Plus they are cheaper than standard mags at around $18/each.

My AUG’s are my go to-I use them in 3 gun and even had the in few PRS shoots out to 615 at BWSA.
    Last edited by no im not squinting; 04-29-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    whats so expensive after you buy in ? Is there good aftermarket support ?

As stated above, aftermarket support is limited. Along with that, Steyr isn’t that supportive of the civil market (along the lines of H&K). Aftermarket parts like a drop in trigger pack are uncommon, and when you find one they disappear quick and go for $400-$600. Though, the 2020 sear I have is very reasonable, and leaves the trigger better than any GI AR trigger I’ve felt. It’s almost as good as an entry level drop in trigger (mine feels like a slightly more heavy CMC AR trigger). A gas plug from Steyr, when they’re available, are $100. The muzzle device I have for it is a $200 part. If you ever need a barrel, a 16” goes for ~$1200. A 24” (if you can even find one) go for $2500. A bolt, which is very similar to an AR bolt, is $250 from Steyr. Picatinny rails, which are simple and bolt right on, are ~$120. And on and on...

But.....aside from changing the charging handle and the sear, there isn’t much that needs to be done to make the AUG better. It really is an excellent rifle out of the box. Top notch quality on everything, with excellent ergonomics. Even the 33 year old pistol and fore grip were so well thought out from the beginning they feel perfect, which can’t be said for the other big players (original AR, AK, and FAL). Ergonomically speaking, my only complaint is the charging handle on the A3 models (with the rail instead of the fixed optic). It you charge it overhand, you can drag your knuckle along the edge of the rail. It’s harder to do the HK slap with the A3 as well if your optic is mounted next to the stop. This wasn’t an issue with the fixed scope rifles though, there was more work area around the handle. A Manticore charging handle, which it canted down and folds instead of fixed up like the factory one, completely fixes both issues though. I find I’m much faster with the Manticore as well, since I prefer to do HK/ MP5 style reloads (lock charging handle back, change mag, slap handle to close bolt). Mine is the NATO model, so it lacks a bolt release. Standard models have an AR style bolt release next to the mag you can smack with your palm. Rumor is a new NATO model is coming with a bolt release included.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    As stated above, aftermarket support is limited. Along with that, Steyr isn’t that supportive of the civil market (along the lines of H&K). Aftermarket parts like a drop in trigger pack are uncommon, and when you find one they disappear quick and go for $400-$600. Though, the 2020 sear I have is very reasonable, and leaves the trigger better than any GI AR trigger I’ve felt. It’s almost as good as an entry level drop in trigger (mine feels like a slightly more heavy CMC AR trigger). A gas plug from Steyr, when they’re available, are $100. The muzzle device I have for it is a $200 part. If you ever need a barrel, a 16” goes for ~$1200. A 24” (if you can even find one) go for $2500. A bolt, which is very similar to an AR bolt, is $250 from Steyr. Picatinny rails, which are simple and bolt right on, are ~$120. And on and on...

But.....aside from changing the charging handle and the sear, there isn’t much that needs to be done to make the AUG better. It really is an excellent rifle out of the box. Top notch quality on everything, with excellent ergonomics. Even the 33 year old pistol and fore grip were so well thought out from the beginning they feel perfect, which can’t be said for the other big players (original AR, AK, and FAL). Ergonomically speaking, my only complaint is the charging handle on the A3 models (with the rail instead of the fixed optic). It you charge it overhand, you can drag your knuckle along the edge of the rail. It’s harder to do the HK slap with the A3 as well if your optic is mounted next to the stop. This wasn’t an issue with the fixed scope rifles though, there was more work area around the handle. A Manticore charging handle, which it canted down and folds instead of fixed up like the factory one, completely fixes both issues though. I find I’m much faster with the Manticore as well, since I prefer to do HK/ MP5 style reloads (lock charging handle back, change mag, slap handle to close bolt). Mine is the NATO model, so it lacks a bolt release. Standard models have an AR style bolt release next to the mag you can smack with your palm. Rumor is a new NATO model is coming with a bolt release included.
    I found some barrels pretty quick for $495, but thats still sorta shocking for a factory barrel not some custom match barrel from a big name custom shop.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xe...hipped.257717/

brownells had not one single thing in stock for a steyr aug, not even a magazine or small screw or spring https://www.brownells.com/manufactur...arms/index.htm

I still want one, your talk of the triggers is getting me hyped when I was really into getting one years back I was talked out of it by so many people because everyone said the trigger was garbage.

direct from steyr 16 inch for sale under 400 http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=13684.0

Barrels are expensive but the replacement is tool less. If they would ever release the 300 barrel it would be awesome but I know they are working on issues with dwell time. I think an integral suppressor would fix that issue too.

If you ever make it to BWSA you are welcome to try one of mine.

MGO Member
    I just can't get on the bull pup design, I have seen too many Kboom stories (and seen some guns in person) to want the firing chamber that close to my face.

But I am old school, even slow to get into the AR generation.
    Last edited by gjgalligan; 04-29-2020 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Missed a word
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

The video gave some amazing barrel life figures for the AUG compared to the AR....which again is odd since it’s the same cartridge. Those $400 barrels sound like an awesome deal...but are already sold out. I may have snagged one if they were still available.

I personally have 3 bullpups. None have junky triggers. The AUG is by far the best. My RFB is still very good with a crisp defined break without much creep, and much lighter than the AUG, albeit with more over travel. My KSG is also surprisingly good, even with its weird hinge pin placement. All 3 are much more defined and positive than any AK I’ve owned, and the AUG is right up there with entry level drop in AR triggers.

As far as kabooms... I’m not too worried about it in the AUG. It has been in military service for 40+ years with continual development, it’s built extremely well by the company that originally designed it, and I only use factory brass case ammo in it. My RFB, even though it is a Kel Tec, and chambered in 7.62 NATO, it’s essentially a FAL inside. The FAL is designed to vent kabooms down and out the mag well (which I’ve had happen on my FAL), but moreover it has not one, but two heavy gauge steel blast shields between my face and the chamber with multiple air gaps in between. While I’m not entirely confident with Kel Tec material quality in many of their guns, the RFB is one that I have faith in both in materials and engineering. The KSG has nowhere near the build quality of the RFB, but it’s also a low pressure shotgun. The pressure vessel (barrel) is stout enough to inspire confidence, and it too has a steel shield with an air gap in the cheek weld area.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 04-29-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast