Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Hidden Safe Alternatives

Hey guys/gals,

Looking to get a safe for my carbine that can be in our bedroom with easy access. Looking at the magnetic style opening, grab a magnet and hit a spot and the door pops open. I will put a link down below for the one I’m currently looking at.

My question is: would this be easy enough to make for half the price? Are there any other companies that make these that you guys use? I need it to be at least 24”x12”x3”...any input is appreciated. Thanks!

What I’m looking at:
    https://libertyhomeconcealment.com/p...r-the-bed-sign

MGO Member
    Great thought! For me...I’d still want to secure that to something sturdy. Floor....bolt to a couple bed frame parts...both of those. Make someone really have to work if they were in house and you weren’t there.. something to consider. “Simplex” locking mechanisms I am fond of...very quick...no batteries...no magnet/rfid bracelet/card etc needed. Food for thought.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by satch70270 View Post
    Great thought! For me...I’d still want to secure that to something sturdy. Floor....bolt to a couple bed frame parts...both of those. Make someone really have to work if they were in house and you weren’t there.. something to consider. “Simplex” locking mechanisms I am fond of...very quick...no batteries...no magnet/rfid bracelet/card etc needed. Food for thought.
    The only issue with a simplex style lock is that it draws attention to the item. My goal here is to make it look like some wall art in the room, something that you wouldn’t look twice at. Magnetic lock would be to keep the kids out, if they even know what it contains. It will be secured to the wall studs, but just enough so it can hold the weight. Not too worried about a thief ripping it off the wall

Quote Originally Posted by Corbs126 View Post
    Hey guys/gals,

Looking to get a safe for my carbine that can be in our bedroom with easy access. Looking at the magnetic style opening, grab a magnet and hit a spot and the door pops open. I will put a link down below for the one I’m currently looking at.

My question is: would this be easy enough to make for half the price? Are there any other companies that make these that you guys use? I need it to be at least 24”x12”x3”...any input is appreciated. Thanks!

What I’m looking at:
    https://libertyhomeconcealment.com/p...r-the-bed-sign
    With all due respect, that is not a safe. It's a secret hiding space that is fast becoming an open secret.

Sorry guys. Anything, a clock, a picture, a cutesy saying sign, that sticks out far enough to hide a gun shouts... "I'm hiding a gun in here!"..... to anyone with a half a brain.

If folks really want to hide a gun behind a picture or clock cutting a recess into the wall itself then adding that picture or clock (full length mirror with magnetic catch for a long gun?) so it mounts flush to the wall. That will look like just another picture/clock hanging on the wall.

Even that might not stop a thief from finding it because smart burglers look behind pictures and clocks for hidden money.

Maybe try something like this:

https://www.shotlock.com/shotgun

don't even need to hide it ..... although I would not mount it to a door.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

I am a Forum User
    Sorry, I misspoke. I understand that it isn’t a safe and that it’s really just a hiding place. Essentially my thought is to have something that the kids won’t look at and say “oh wow I want to get in there”. I’ll have a magnetic lock on it and if my house does get broken into without me home and they realize it’s there then I guess it’s theirs. I went out and got some supplies and I’m building it soon, hopefully it works
    Last edited by Corbs126; 05-04-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbs126 View Post
    Sorry, I misspoke. I understand that it isn’t a safe and that it’s really just a hiding place. Essentially my thought is to have something that the kids won’t look at and say “oh wow I want to get in there”. I’ll have a magnetic lock on it and if my house does get broken into without me home and they realize it’s there then I guess it’s theirs. I went out and got some supplies and I’m building it soon, hopefully it works

post some pics of the build process if you can. I'm interested despite what I wrote in post #4.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
    post some pics of the build process if you can. I'm interested despite what I wrote in post #4.
    I’ll do what I can. I tend to start projects and forget to take pictures of progress hah

unless you have all the stuff laying around and count your time as free, I doubt you can make that for half the price. Just go look at some struts, paint, hinges.

There are lots of neat ways to hide guns, though a rife or shotgun is harder, if you can build it into the headboard, or a dresser it can be pretty trick.

If you have no kids, and have vents up high, or do not mind cutting into the wall they make fake HVAC vents you can slip your handgun in.

That gun lock is not terrible, I just do not like having guns laying out where anyone would see them casually.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    unless you have all the stuff laying around and count your time as free, I doubt you can make that for half the price. Just go look at some struts, paint, hinges.

There are lots of neat ways to hide guns, though a rife or shotgun is harder, if you can build it into the headboard, or a dresser it can be pretty trick.

If you have no kids, and have vents up high, or do not mind cutting into the wall they make fake HVAC vents you can slip your handgun in.

That gun lock is not terrible, I just do not like having guns laying out where anyone would see them casually.
    Agreed with the last part. Don’t like my stuff just sitting there, and this box might stand out terribly but I’m gonna try. I’m into it for about $40 right now and I have everything but foam. We’ll see how it goes

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast