Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I like the storage units that fit between the studs, and are essentially flush, with a key lock. I put one in the end wall of a coat closet, it holds a shotgun, an AR and a handgun. I leave the key in the lock when I want easy access(like at night} and can lock it otherwise. When the coats are pushed against the wall, it can't be seen.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Patron Member
    NRA Handgun Instructor
    USCCA Handgun Instructor

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ltcnav View Post
    I like the storage units that fit between the studs, and are essentially flush, with a key lock. I put one in the end wall of a coat closet, it holds a shotgun, an AR and a handgun. I leave the key in the lock when I want easy access(like at night} and can lock it otherwise. When the coats are pushed against the wall, it can't be seen.
    That’s pretty cool! I thought about that as well. Might turn into that also, who knows

I am a Forum User
    As soon as I figure out an easy way to drop pics from my phone I’ll post the updates. Box is built and stained, doing the stencil work on the front door and need to mount the hinges and it’ll be done. Turned out pretty cool so far

I am a Forum User
    I was inspired by this and started to build my own using wood I had on hand. I need a few things to finish.

One thing that I don't like is how deep I had to make it to account for my light on my AR. So, it will stick out from the wall more than I would like - will be more noticeable.

20200509_140413.jpg
    20200509_140600.jpg

Edit: for those who care, internal dimensions I came up with based on what I needed to fit are 40x14x5
    Last edited by Einthewoods; 05-11-2020 at 09:53 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    I was inspired by this and started to build my own using wood I had on hand. I need a few things to finish.

One thing that I don't like is how deep I had to make it to account for my light on my AR. So, it will stick out from the wall more than I would like - will be more noticeable.

20200509_140413.jpg
    20200509_140600.jpg
    Looks great man! The way I see it is this: will it be obvious to an intruder if you aren’t home? Yes. Will it matter if you are home? Absolutely not. Sticks out from the wall a bit but ends up looking nice and keeps things contained in a safe manner. Good enough for me.

MGO Member
    (Sticks out from wall more than I would like.) Quote
    You could pull the drywall off of that wall and strip the studs out to the needed depth and re drywall, or strip over the old wall and drywall to required depth.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Model12gunner View Post
    (Sticks out from wall more than I would like.) Quote
    You could pull the drywall off of that wall and strip the studs out to the needed depth and re drywall, or strip over the old wall and drywall to required depth.
    Very true. I would have to wait until my wife is out of the house. I can hear the gentle purr of the sawzall and then the screaming...

In Memoriam Forum User

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    Very true. I would have to wait until my wife is out of the house. I can hear the gentle purr of the sawzall and then the screaming...
    Haha exactly. I didn’t want to cut into my walls and deal with all that, but that’s just me. Kind of made it just to see if I could, and now I get to use it since it turned out nice.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbs126 View Post
    Sorry, I misspoke. I understand that it isn’t a safe and that it’s really just a hiding place. Essentially my thought is to have something that the kids won’t look at and say “oh wow I want to get in there”. I’ll have a magnetic lock on it and if my house does get broken into without me home and they realize it’s there then I guess it’s theirs. I went out and got some supplies and I’m building it soon, hopefully it works
    How old are your kids? I have a Jack Daniels sign at my bar that is a concealment one, I have never put anything in it because my 6 year old keeps asking what is inside of it, he said it is too thick to just be a sign. Kids are smarter than you think they are, him and his 3 year old brother have also defeated every child lock we have in the house with ease.. The sign I have is a magnet release one, my kids have magnetic blocks for toys, a few of those together will open the sign.

The easiest way to hide something from a kid would be to put it up high, like on top of a cabinet, or top shelf of a closet. Just make sure there is nothing movable around (chair, ottoman, footlocker...) or they will build some stairs to get to it. I speak from experience.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast