Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue XJ View Post
    How old are your kids? I have a Jack Daniels sign at my bar that is a concealment one, I have never put anything in it because my 6 year old keeps asking what is inside of it, he said it is too thick to just be a sign. Kids are smarter than you think they are, him and his 3 year old brother have also defeated every child lock we have in the house with ease.. The sign I have is a magnet release one, my kids have magnetic blocks for toys, a few of those together will open the sign.

The easiest way to hide something from a kid would be to put it up high, like on top of a cabinet, or top shelf of a closet. Just make sure there is nothing movable around (chair, ottoman, footlocker...) or they will build some stairs to get to it. I speak from experience.
    For sure, I appreciate it. Kids are 2 and 2 months. Shouldn’t be getting into things for a little while. It’s going to be in my room, in which the kids aren’t allowed without us. Door is always closed and we keep an eye on the 2 year old when she goes down the hall. It’s more so to see if I can do it, and maybe I’ll recess it into the wall when they become a little older so it’s less conspicuous.

For those with young'uns who are old enough to figure out there is a gun inside that hidy cabinet mounted on the wall this keypad lock could be mounted inside that cabinet offering an extra level of security without sacrificing very much accessability.

And no, I do not have a financial interest in this company:

https://www.shotlock.com/

They offer units for shotguns, AR's, and handguns.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

I am a Forum User
    Picture time. Went to Home Depot and got 1x4 unfinished lumber. Cut the pieces 36” and 16”. Made a simple frame for the box.

Then I used 4 pieces to cover the back. Drilled holes, countersunk the screws. It’ll be against the wall so it didn’t have to be pretty.

Similar idea to the back, but for the front I did not use any screws since it will be visible. Used liquid nails and two support pieces. The gray essentially disappears after stain, plus it’s on the inside so it’s not an issue.

I sanded it all down with 120 then 220 grit sandpaper. Finally I used wood conditioner, stain, and two coats of polyurethane and I’d say it looks pretty good

I have foam that I need to cut to size, then I will mount the hinges and finish my stencil on the front. All for about $100 and 1.5x bigger than what I’ve seen offered on sites. Happy with the project

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbs126 View Post
    Picture time. Went to Home Depot and got 1x4 unfinished lumber. Cut the pieces 36” and 16”. Made a simple frame for the box.

I have foam that I need to cut to size, then I will mount the hinges and finish my stencil on the front. All for about $100 and 1.5x bigger than what I’ve seen offered on sites. Happy with the project

Looking real good. I want to hear about the foam once you get it done. What kind did you use, how'd you cut it, etc.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    Looking real good. I want to hear about the foam once you get it done. What kind did you use, how'd you cut it, etc.
    That’s an interesting one. I called a place that would make me a piece specifically for the box for $50. Since this is intended to be a budget build I found some extra foam laying around at work. Same type that comes in a gun case from Amazon, the kind you can pluck. Sized it to the box and slid it in, will make it permanent with spray adhesive once mounted to the wall. From there I’ll lay the gun in how I want it, sharpie the outline and start plucking and slicing with an exacto. Need to get the stencil work done and mount the hinges then I can do the foam cutting. Kids keep me busy at night these days, hard to find too much time. Hopefully it’ll be done this weekend

I am a Forum User
    That’s an interesting one. I called a place that would make me a piece specifically for the box for $50. Since this is intended to be a budget build I found some extra foam laying around at work. Same type that comes in a gun case from Amazon, the kind you can pluck. Sized it to the box and slid it in, will make it permanent with spray adhesive once mounted to the wall. From there I’ll lay the gun in how I want it, sharpie the outline and start plucking and slicing with an exacto. Need to get the stencil work done and mount the hinges then I can do the foam cutting. Kids keep me busy at night these days, hard to find too much time. Hopefully it’ll be done this weekend
    Good idea. I was planning to just use some sort of hooks to hang my rifle on as i didn't want to try and find foam. But, I like the sounds of what you found and will take a look.

Thanks

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    Good idea. I was planning to just use some sort of hooks to hang my rifle on as i didn't want to try and find foam. But, I like the sounds of what you found and will take a look.

Thanks
    Hooks would work, so would wooden dowel rods. All depends on how you want to do it

MGO Member
    If either of you are looking for foam and on the east side. Foam Factory on 23 mile did an amazing job for me. I took them my rifle and my case, they traced everything out, cut the foam and layered it where needed for a perfect fit. I think I paid $75 for it though, but it's an option, and would definately hold a firearm securely.

0122161259.jpg
    Last edited by Blue XJ; 05-14-2020 at 09:56 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Stencil complete and I cut out the foam today. Tomorrow is for mounting hinges and mounting it to the wall. Foam is definitely budget but I’m the only ones that sees it pics to come...

I am a Forum User
    Stencil complete and I cut out the foam today. Tomorrow is for mounting hinges and mounting it to the wall. Foam is definitely budget but I’m the only ones that sees it pics to come...
    Not far behind you. Got things drying in the barn hoping for some assembly tomorrow.

20200516_151519.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast