Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Post Wolf Season this year (2020)

I was reading the DNR's latest Wildlife Conservation Order which was put out on 12/16/2019. In 3.700 it states that
    The natural resources commission hereby authorizes the establishment of the first open season for wolf.
    and sets the dates from Nov 15 to Dec 31. Did anyone here hunt wolf in the brief season of 2013? I haven't hunted wolf before, so am approaching it like hunting deer. Since the order also states
    A firearm, crossbow, and bow and arrow legal for the taking of deer in Michigan shall be legal for the taking of wolf, except as otherwise prohibited in this order.
    Would the trusty .30-30 be a good choice for Great Lakes gray wolf? What do you think about wolf hunting?

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    I looked briefly on the DNR’s webpage and didnt see any mention a Wolf season for this fall-I wonder perhaps if they aren’t bound to open a season and sell us Peasants a license for it despite the NRC written order?
    Last edited by balrog006; 05-09-2020 at 05:36 PM.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    I am thinking that they would update the webpage once this year's hunting digest is decided on. The Natural Resource Commission makes decisions on that in July if i remember correctly.

MGO Board of Directors

If you want to shoot a wolf, come to my house.
    There always seems to be one knocking on my door!

I haven't seen anything about a season but I will reach out to my contacts in MUCC and see what they know.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Board of Directors

Reply to my inquiry from MUCC:

Hello Jack,

That was put into the Wildlife Conservation Order in order to allow for the wolf hunt that took place in 2014. Because they have since been returned as an endangered species (as of December 2014) that language in the WCO in null but it still stands in the event that they would be removed from endangered list. If/when they are to be removed, I'm sure that there will be some changes to that section in the order by the Natural Resources Commission.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Reply to my inquiry from MUCC:

Hello Jack,

That was put into the Wildlife Conservation Order in order to allow for the wolf hunt that took place in 2014. Because they have since been returned as an endangered species (as of December 2014) that language in the WCO in null but it still stands in the event that they would be removed from endangered list. If/when they are to be removed, I'm sure that there will be some changes to that section in the order by the Natural Resources Commission.
    Once again your contact with MUCC proves helpful and informative.
    Thanks for doing what you do, Jack.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    I wouldn’t hold your breath for any ‘legal’ wolf season. That goes double for any meaningful season.

Looks like some guy from da U.P. decided to have his own season.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...gles-and-more/

MGO Member
    Until we don't have judges and people deciding proper wildlife population controls....we will never see wolf hunting or trapping in Michigan....
    Population goals were met in the early 21st century set by wildlife managers....but bleeding heart down staters, legislators, judges make the decisions....for people that live and deal with wolves in there backyards....
    It was a joke the wolf season only 3 small areas open where wolves were declared problems....open 11-15 to 12-31 not the best time of year to hunt wolves....DNR couldn't even sell 1200 tags at $100....couldn't even reach a harvest goal of 43 only 23 were harvested....only good it was a foot in the door for future seasons to adjust what didn't work....

I live in a area were wolves are to common I've seen them in my backyard around the barn within 50' of the house...I have permit from the DNR to shoot "cracker shells" to scare them away....2 weeks ago my wife was walking the dogs at noon when a large wolf came out of the woods 50' away stopped and stared at her for several seconds and continued across the road luckily the dogs didn't bark or act aggressive....

Even for person that's a very good hunter wolves are the most challenging animal to hunt being very lucky does't hurt....

Best time to have a wolf hunt is late December - March not many people in the woods always good amount of snow on the ground, deer are yarded-up and wolves are living around the deer yards killing deer....

I am a Forum User
    +1 to all of this ^^^ !

@ Brace- I have no comment about a MI wolf hunt, but to your question, generally speaking...

.30-30 is plenty of gun for a wolf. The range limitations are well known. The areas open in the last hunt didn't have many opportunities for 150+ yard shots. As pointed out in post #8, wolves are difficult to hunt. Getting close where they are vulnerable is challenging. Something like .243 is plenty of bullet and makes the range calculation easier. The .25 family up to. 270 with light, fast bullets would be the sweet spot.