Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganShootist View Post
    Check out the FX-9 from Freedom Ordnance. I've had mine about a year. Put a Vortex red dot and light on it.

Lots of fun, very reliable, uses Glock mags (Up to 31-33 rounders), and AR parts. It's a little more money but I shot the Ruger and this is a far better gun IMO.

It's more than adequate as a PCC competition gun and doubles as a great home defense gun.

Mark
    Thanks. I've been looking at the FX-9 also. Feel a little more secure with a larger company like Ruger with outstanding CS, but I'll review the FX-9 again.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    What is is it intended for?

Competition in 3 guns or PCC, or for backpacking /or for general plinking with a 9mm cheaper round in a rifle format..

Do you care about the cool looks and functionality or just functionality.

Do you care about Bolt open and locked after last round or not..

Do you mind if it came in a pistol format with a brace or it has to be a rifle..

I think if you navigate through this chart you will know whether you want an AR9 or a Ruger in either a pistola format or a rifle format.. I have friends who owns and shoot the Ruger PC9 and it is reliable as a glock. I have also seen AR and AR look alikes that are reliable as well just make sure the barrel is ramped for feeding reliability and not a straight up loading breach. As for the looks you have to decide which one is OK.

I do believe I've ruled out the Sub2K based on past experience with Kel Tec.

• Likely general plinking with 9mm and to have handy for home defense instead of my AR-15. I like the concept of being able to half the gun for easy portability/conceal if ever necessary. I've switched all my center fire handguns to 9mm and would like to expand my 9mm collection to include a PCC.
    • Functionality is king, but I dislike "ugly" guns also.
    • Bolt open and locked after last round would be a requirement. Do you know this spec for the Ruger PCC and FX-9?
    • I am really struggling with the "pistol" style with brace. I am not sure their purpose other than being bigger than a handgun, but smaller than a rifle. I have never shot one. I have several 9mm handguns, so I think I want to start of with a rifle style vs pistol format and brace.
    Last edited by DTrain; 05-13-2020 at 08:59 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DTrain View Post

• Likely general plinking with 9mm and to have handy for home defense instead of my AR-15. I like the concept of being able to half the gun for easy portability/conceal if ever necessary. I've switched all my center fire handguns to 9mm and would like to expand my 9mm collection to include a PCC.
    • Bolt open and locked after last round would be a requirement. Do you know this spec for the Ruger PCC and FX-9?
    • I am really struggling with the "pistol" style with brace. I am not sure their purpose other than being bigger than a handgun, but smaller than a rifle. I have never shot one. I have several 9mm handguns, so I think I want to start of with a rifle style vs pistol format and brace.
    I guess based on what your preferences are and based that you have an AR15, your prefrence would steer you to an AR9 pistol with an SBA brace.. to stay in the $600 range PSA makes nice rliable AR9 pistols but unfortunately the bolt doesn't lock on last round..
    I am not familiar with the FX9 and hopefully people with that platform can pitch in.
    CMMG 9 is an option as well but they are north of $600..
    I have a PSA 9mm carbine and I love it, but would prefer if I have it in a pistol format (7.5 or 8.5 in would be great for home defense and close quarter maneuvering)..

I am a Forum User
    I guess based on what your preferences are and based that you have an AR15, your prefrence would steer you to an AR9 pistol with an SBA brace.. to stay in the $600 range PSA makes nice rliable AR9 pistols but unfortunately the bolt doesn't lock on last round..
    I am not familiar with the FX9 and hopefully people with that platform can pitch in.
    CMMG 9 is an option as well but they are north of $600..
    I have a PSA 9mm carbine and I love it, but would prefer if I have it in a pistol format (7.5 or 8.5 in would be great for home defense and close quarter maneuvering)..
    FX-9 is a great option. I believe the bolt holds open on last round but I don’t own one so don’t quote me. On the EP9 the bolt does hold open on last round. Pistol format, 6.5” barrel, SB brace. Feels like a small rifle that corners very well

The bolt does lock back when empty on the FX-9. Google it there are a couple reviews (U-Tube videos) I've never seen it get a bad review.

Sounds like the FX-9 is probably your best bet or one of the Rugers. I wouldn't discount the CZ Scorpion Evo S3 either, it's just north of your price range but I've seen them regularly for around $750 and they are fantastic firearms. IMO, they have a better track record for being less finicky than most AR9s and they're very easy to work on. I've shot one of the Rugers side by side with my Scorpion, and I found the Scorpion to actually have a slightly more mild recoil impulse. Neither are what I would call unpleasant, but I was very surprised that the Ruger felt more "punchy" than the Scorpion did. That being said, the Ruger is a very well built firearm and I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

I'd probably recommend staying away from the Sub2k. It's not a bad gun, I've owned one and found it to be very reliable. I just think it serves a very specific purpose of being something you can fold up into a backpack or a novelty gun. They're generally pretty uncomfortable to shoot given your cheek is basically just resting on a metal tube, trigger is pretty lousy, and recoil is pretty annoying.

The advantage to a pistol style PCC vs a rifle is to have a more compact overall firearm. With the 9mm, after about 7-8" of barrel, you're really not getting any advantage out of the longer barrel.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    Sounds like the FX-9 is probably your best bet or one of the Rugers. I wouldn't discount the CZ Scorpion Evo S3 either, it's just north of your price range but I've seen them regularly for around $750 and they are fantastic firearms. IMO, they have a better track record for being less finicky than most AR9s and they're very easy to work on. I've shot one of the Rugers side by side with my Scorpion, and I found the Scorpion to actually have a slightly more mild recoil impulse. Neither are what I would call unpleasant, but I was very surprised that the Ruger felt more "punchy" than the Scorpion did. That being said, the Ruger is a very well built firearm and I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

I'd probably recommend staying away from the Sub2k. It's not a bad gun, I've owned one and found it to be very reliable. I just think it serves a very specific purpose of being something you can fold up into a backpack or a novelty gun. They're generally pretty uncomfortable to shoot given your cheek is basically just resting on a metal tube, trigger is pretty lousy, and recoil is pretty annoying.

The advantage to a pistol style PCC vs a rifle is to have a more compact overall firearm. With the 9mm, after about 7-8" of barrel, you're really not getting any advantage out of the longer barrel.
    very good summary..

I am a Forum User
    very good summary..
    Agreed. Thanks castrotikon!

I like the Ruger PC9. I have two. I had to replace the extractor on both with a better aftermarket part. Other wise they run and run. The take down feature makes the PC9 a breeze to clean.
    MGO Life Member, NRA Life Patron Member, CCRC Life Member, GOA Life Member

Is the base model Ruger PCC about the best deal going for solid PCC?

Looking to get one in 9mm and then upgrade to the Magpul Backpacker stock when they are released later this year.

Seems like a lightweight, versatile, basic 9mm PCC setup.

What else should I investigate before pulling the trigger?
    Read thru this all ... my 0.02 worth ...

My dad had a 44mag Camp Carbine, was nice little rifle, kicked like a 12g and not that accurate - MOBG good though. (minute of bad guy). I have a Sub2k gen 2 w/red dot -- shoots well, everything I put thru it, works with suppressor, red dot kit that allows me to fold it up.. I also had a CX4 Storm 9mm shot well, looks futuristic, took 92 mags - traded it for S&W K38. I had an AR9 I built from PSA, never a glitch with it. Loved shooting it but didn't often enough, so I sold it too. Lastly since I have my fireproof underwear on - for the price, best 9mm carbine I've ever shot was the Hi-Point. The one I have shoots everything I put in it from steel case to +P hollow points. accurate, reliable, uggggglyyyy as sin, etc.. I have a cheap 25$ red dot on it and I would trust for a home defense gun. It is the perfect truck gun to me. Goes to the range most every time I go too.

Problem with Hi-Points is you don't always know what the quality control is like, but they have a life time warranty. Mine is great, YMMV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast